LXDE broke when installed "skippy" ... no borders, titlebars

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
petyr.veliki

LXDE broke when installed "skippy" ... no borders, titlebars

Post by petyr.veliki »

Hey, guys

I have Chromebook and run Ubuntu with LXDE, using Crouton. All was fine until yesterday I installed "skippy" (formelly "skippy-xd"). This is a task switcher for minimalist desktops, that is simialr to "Present Windows" in KDE4 or pressing "Win" in Gnome3 - user see previews of all opened windows. (https://code.google.com/p/skippy-xd/)

After the installation - it didn't want to run, cause it threw an error: "Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)". Searched for it, and found out that the current window manager doesn't allow skippy to access something. But it got too late, so - I left it for today.
And this morning, when I ran LXDE - I found out that I have no cursor and all windows have not borders, titlebars and toolbars.

I removed skippy, restarted LXDE - and no change ...

How can I fix it? ...

PS1: I can re-install it, but I want to try to fix it first ...

PS2: At work I tried "skippy" with OpenBox, and it worked fine ... so what could have caused the problem with "BadAccess" ? ...
petyr.veliki

Re: LXDE broke when installed "skippy" ... no borders, title

Post by petyr.veliki »

I managed to fix it :) ...

After some research - I found out that somewhere in the config files should be specified which window manager LXDE should use. And found out that in desktop.conf:

[Session]
window_manager=openbox-lxde

Then, after a while - I ran "sudo apt-get install openbox" - then it had to install some additional stuff, and when I restarted - it was all OK :) ...

Hope this helps someone else.
Rex Bouwense

Re: LXDE broke when installed "skippy" ... no borders, title

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Excellent. By the way, welcome to the LXDE forum. It is not often that a thread is solved by the original poster but we do appreciate you sharing the solution with the rest of us. Stick around and share your knowledge if you have the time.
Rex