Filenames, Lines, ... with a dash have weird behavior

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
chicken

Filenames, Lines, ... with a dash have weird behavior

Post by chicken »

Hi,

I'm running Arch and LXDE on a netbook (1024 x 600) and everything with a dash shows a weird behavior (see attached screenshots). I first noticed it on filenames
20150325-143724.png
(78.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
but when I added functionality to take a screenshot I saw that even gedit makes lines with a dash very big.
20150325-143626.png
(64.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
As you can see it's not only in the filename but also the "preview" of firefox and even in the LXPanel for "7-Zip".
Any Idea why this happens and how I can fix it?
I have another machine running arch + lxde (not a netbook) and it doesn't happen there.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I was able to fix it myself by reinstalling LXDE. It actually was a font bug. (Unfortunately, it happened with several fonts so I wasn't able to see that right away.)
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Re: Filenames, Lines, ... with a dash have weird behavior

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

Thanks for stating the nature of the fix instead of just saying "nevermind, I got it." That is likely to help someone who finds there way here with a search engine. In the future, may I suggest that "I solved it myself" messages are better put in a second post if your first post is otherwise unanswered. Unless, that is, there is a "solved" button here that is disapearing in my color scheme. That way people looking for unanswered questions to try to see if they can help don't open it. Glad you fixed it.
drooly

Re: Filenames, Lines, ... with a dash have weird behavior

Post by drooly »

good that you solved it.
yes, this is font-related, but it's not a "bug".

a bug is usually some sort of coding error - from what i can see from your screenshot you simply didn't have any ttf/otf-fonts installed and freetype just tried to make do with what it found on your system.
simply installing some common fonts (droid, deja vu...) would have fixed the issue.

edit: now please don't get worked up about this; i've posted critical comment everytime i saw people using the word "bug" too lightly... i just want to create some awareness, or ability to assess computer problems.