Desktop apps are out of focus and bordersflash when started

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
02ebz06

Desktop apps are out of focus and bordersflash when started

Post by 02ebz06 »

When I double click on a desktop icon the app opens, the border flashes, and it is out of focus (not the active window).
You have to click on it to make the blinking go away and make it the active window.
Seems to me that you should be able to open a browser or lxteminal and be able to start typing and not have to use the mouse to click on it first.

Is there away to change that behavior?

Thanks
drooly

Re: Desktop apps are out of focus and bordersflash when star

Post by drooly »

could be something is stealing focus.
that's window manager latin, it means that some other app is always pushing to the top. maybe you are doing it by accidental mouseclicks, maybe it's really something else doing it.

what distro are you using, and have you installed extra apps or tinkered with settings?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Like drooly said, it would be good to know what distro you are using. If your distro is using openbox as a window manager, open the Openbox Configuration Manager. On the "Windows" tab, the very first entry is "Focusing Windows". Make sure there is a check in the box. That will, as it says, "Focus new windows when they appear." Some distros don't have this checked by default.
02ebz06

Post by 02ebz06 »

Sorry for delayed response.

I'm running Debian/Jessie on my Toshiba Laptop with LXDE desktop (obviously).
My first venture into a Linux GUI.

Not errant mouse clicks - It doesn't matter which icon I double click on, all do the same - Blinking border and not the active window.

Thanks for the Openbox Configuration Manager tip Bob.
Unfortunately, "Focus New Windows when they appear" is checked.
However I found a way around it.
In the mouse tab, I checked "Focus Windows when mouse pointer moves over them."
Don't know the Focus when they appear doesn't work though.

UPDATE - "Focus Windows when mouse pointer moves over them." will bring the window into focus.
however, if I also check "Place new Windows under the mouse pointer" it nullifies "Focus Windows when mouse pointer moves over them."

Can't win. :(
drooly

Post by drooly »

as you said, that's a workaround, the underlying problem is still there.
if you think openbox' settings are right, you should check if another app is stealing focus.
also make sure you're not doubleclicking things that need to be clicked only once.
maybe something like a misconfigured conky.
anything you installed besides normal lxde.

btw, did you install lxde yourself on a non-gui install of debian jessie, or did you use a preconfigured cd image?
you should try the latter. installing and configuring your (desktop) environment is not a trivial task.