LXDE window random freezes

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
micnd90

LXDE window random freezes

Post by micnd90 »

Hi guys, I'm experiencing exactly similar problem with this guy
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=196415

LXDE window would freeze randomly, mostly after browsing the web or working on Libreoffice. I am currently running the latest version of LXDE on Debian 7.8. I have several specific webpage that I think greatly increases the chances of window freezing, but it is hit and miss and not exactly reproducible. When the freeze happen I can still move my mouse around, and the window would still work but mouse clicks outside of active window to minimize, resize the window etc doesn't work and lxpanel also doesn't work.

At this point, the only thing I could do is open up LXterminal using my keyboard shortcut and use

Code: Select all

pkill lxsession 
to log out. Another thing I could do is to switch to Desktop 2 and back using CTRL+ALT+right/left arrow. If I switch back to Desktop 1 (the frozen one), it would unfreeze for exactly 1 move (e.g. I can resize window, pull up menu out of Lxpanel etc) but then it would freeze again.

I checked syslog and userlog and there is nothing suspicious and now at lost on how I would debug this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
drooly

Re: LXDE window random freezes

Post by drooly »

there's about a hundred different possible reasons.
exactly similar? you're not even running arch.
have you also tried installing different DE's, where the freeze doesn't occur?

to be able to help you, we need some simple hardware specs (cpu speed, ram, architecture, gpu & driver).

when the freeze occurs (or before that already) you need to open a terminal and type "top" (or even better, install htop and use that) to monitor your system and see what's eating your resources.
as you yourself noticed, some webpages can be very resource-hungry, but there's other candidates, too.