How To Make WPS Office The Default Application In Lubuntu?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
fredsua

How To Make WPS Office The Default Application In Lubuntu?

Post by fredsua »

Hello everyone;

I'm a long time Ubuntu user and I recently installed Lubuntu on my netbook to make it run faster. I Lubuntu has made my netbook run so much better, I love it.

I recently installed WPS Office (latest ver. 18p1) in Lubuntu and now I can't figure out how to make WPS the default application to open .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx file extensions. When I right click a word document and select Open With..., WPS doesn't show up as one of the options to choose from. Please help!

Thank you.
Rex Bouwense

Re: How To Make WPS Office The Default Application In Lubunt

Post by Rex Bouwense »

How did you install WPS Office? Can you start it from the main menu?
There is a new (well relatively new) feature in Lubuntu. Go to main menu->Preferences->Default applications for Lxsession. Choose Launching applications and scroll down to Document. Choose your default application.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

additionally, whenever you see one of those documents in your file manager, right click them => Properties => Open with...
that should stick.
if it doesn't, let us know.
fredsua

Post by fredsua »

Rex Bouwense wrote:How did you install WPS Office? Can you start it from the main menu?
There is a new (well relatively new) feature in Lubuntu. Go to main menu->Preferences->Default applications for Lxsession. Choose Launching applications and scroll down to Document. Choose your default application.
I installed WPS Office by downloading the .deb document and letting GDebi Package Installer do the rest.
I did the main menu as suggested and was able to set the Document and Spreadsheet to WPS accordingliy. However when I open a document it doesn't recognize the program association. Weird...

drooly wrote:additionally, whenever you see one of those documents in your file manager, right click them => Properties => Open with...
that should stick.
if it doesn't, let us know.

I did this also, but WPS does not appear as one of the options.
drooly

Post by drooly »

do you have a .desktop file for wps office in /usr/share/applications?
please post its contents.
fredsua

Post by fredsua »

Yes, I do.

wps-office-wps.desktop for writer

wps-office-et.desktop for spreadsheet
fredsua

Post by fredsua »

Ok, so I managed to correct the file association with WPS as the default application for each one. Now, my next problem is that when I save a file in doc, docx, xls, ppt, etc., the OS seems to think they are Zip Archive files. How can I get this corrected?
drooly

Post by drooly »

they are zip archives.

what does the os do to them?
can you still save them?
can you open them with wps?
i'm not sure i understand.

but, just like you did before, it should be possible to get an application associated with them via filename extension.