[New] LXMusic - Minimalist xmms2-based music player

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
PCMan

[New] LXMusic - Minimalist xmms2-based music player

Post by PCMan »

Everyone loves screenshots!

LXMusic - The minimalist music player for LXDE. This is based on xmms2, which is lightweight and has server/client design. The user interface is quite simple, clean, and intuitive. At first glance, it looks similar to my favorite player on Windows - foobar 2000. LXMusic only has very few features, and it can do nothing more than just playing a list of music files. However, this is what’s lacking today, a player which doesn’t try to teach you how to listen your own music files. It just plays! That’s all.

It’s still under development and is still in alpha stage, but it’s enough for everyday use. Please grab the tarball or download the hotest code from LXDE svn repo to get it tested!

Please read LXDE blog for latest news!
http://blog.lxde.org/
maces

Re: [New] LXMusic - Minimalist xmms2-based music player

Post by maces »

Hi

Works well on my Laptop (arch32bit) and on my Deskop (arch64bit). I think it's a good alternative to many other (Mini-)Players, like the other ones available for xmms2 today. It's also a good player for Laptops and specially for Netboks.

maces
sebasmagri

Post by sebasmagri »

Shouldn't it be merged with LXine (http://lxde.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ ... unk/lxine/)? I mean, for not to duplicate efforts but get a stable music player for the LXDE Desktop soon... :-)
PCMan

Post by PCMan »

lxine is originally developed by Fred and he tries to use xine.
However, now it's totally broken and not usable at all.

lxmusic is a pure music player based on xmms2.
So, they are totally different things.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm struggling to find a link to download this.
sebasmagri

Post by sebasmagri »

What I'm saying is to invite Fred to collaborate with the LXMusic development... :-)
sanji

Post by sanji »

It works fine and stable but it could be much better in my opinion if:
-the user could change sound volume using mouse scroll wheel whithout clicking. The best solution - when cursor is on the tray icon.
-player could be configurated to be a little narrower (throwing off the Repeat/No repeat menu to the main menu; making avaiable to disable the Album tab)
-adding option "Stop after current" - this should be pretty easy.
FLACvest

Post by FLACvest »

Hello!

I just wanted to chime in on how pleased I am to find an aesthetically pleasing and very functional XMMS2 Client to test the XMMS2 waters with. I'm coming from an MPD/Sonata (sometimes Xfmpc) and sometimes Audacious music player background in the GNU/Linux and Gentoo Linux world. Before them, I liked Amarok, though it was a bear, and can't say the same for Rythmbox, though Banshee is quite nice sometimes, and if I get a T-Mobile G-1 I suppose that will worm its way into my life a bit more.

I really like the slim, clean, gracious tack taken with LXMusic. It would be great if it could incorporate a binding for the eq.py script into it's Tools menu, as that already gives XMMS2 a 31-band Graphic EQ. Just a suggestion.

If you're looking for ideas on extension, expansion, extrapolation and judicious feature addition to LXMusic I'd say as an Audio Player user who likes a confluence of elegance, minimalism, and cleanliness you're definitely on the right path. For ideas, I'd look to Sonata, Xfmpc, and Muine.

These are all just personal opinions, and suggestions offered as my way of inspiring and nudging on talented creative folks who can actually CODE.

I did a writeup on amot.wordpress.com, my blog; this morning actually about my experience getting XMMS2 0.5 "Dr.Lecter" installed via ebuild by way of the zugaina overlay, compiling LXMusic 0.2.3, and installing eq.py and settings for it's 31-band EQ and how the whole process of getting up and running on Gentoo with your Music Player, those components and the XMMS2 framework went.

I'm listening with LXMusic right as I type this, and I'd say colour me impressed. With LXMusic, with XMMS2's capabilities, and also what LXDE is bringing to the Linux Desktop Banquet!

Best,

FLACvest
FLACvest

Post by FLACvest »

Things I'd add:

1) Elapsed & Remaining Time.

2) Mouse Scrollable Volume Control.

3) Bugfix for Widget on Seek Bar for better accuracy and to eliminate the "empty spot" that exists between the "button" and the "strip".

4) Bugfix for Locate Currently Played Track for Gentoo / Xfce users. We Choose LXMusic too!!! (so it would be nice if Thunar would pop up with the file)

5) Ability to read *.m3u playlists (is that in the scope of LXMusic or xmms2??)

6) Album art (eventually later). (could be simple like reading a "cover.jpg/png/gif" file in the directory containing the album.

7) A File Directory View: I really miss this coming from MPD/Sonata (but I don't want to go back!) keep updating LXMusic with pluings/modules.

8) Bugfix for Window Manager Icon on Gentoo / Xfce from Source users. Blank Icon shows up... disappointing, I want the pretty xmms2 icon.

9) Ability to edit tags.
Korrode

Post by Korrode »

Hello LXDE forums :)

Since before LXDE's creation, i used OpenBox+PCManFM, thus when the LXDE project started and i saw there was going to be applications made in the same vein, i was like "omg uber :D w00t" etc.

I somehow didn't hear about LXMusic until today (while i was at work looking up linux stuff, rather than working :P ), anyways i've gotten home and installed LXMusic 0.4.0 straight from my disto's repo (i run Debian Testing, atm).

Firstly i'd like to say; this is the day-to-day audio player i've been waiting for. I described it to my housemate as "perfectly minimalist", which fits my computing style... thank you for developing it. :)

I do have one question though (depending on the answer, it could be a feature request).
When i drag an audio file from PCManFM into the LXMusic playlist, i can select where in the playlist it will be placed... but once a track is in the playlist, i then don't seem to be able to via dragging (or any other means) change it's position in the list... am i supposed to be able to?

If not, then that is my only feature request at all for LXMusic, and i hope that barring that and maybe a few little tweaks it forever remains the very lite, minimalist audio player it currently is.

Thanks again for the great work. :)

EDIT:
Thought i'd add too; it was just a couple of days ago i was talking about some issues i had with Audacious and a source i trust recommended to me that i find a player that used XMMS2, so assuming his advice is good, my expectation LXMusic will become my general audio player is strengthened even more so.