Lubuntu: start complete lxde via vnc

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
Knutowskie

Lubuntu: start complete lxde via vnc

Post by Knutowskie »

Hey!
All my searching ended up with no solution. Maybe somebody could help me.

I want to access my lubuntu via vnc. At my first try i used x11vnc. This tool allowed me to access the main X session. BUT: it's not stable. Sometimes it crashes and then it kills the whole X server and forces it to restart.

So i watched out for a alternative solution. Now I'm using vnc4server. Seems to be more stable.
BUT: i can't access my main X session (on 192.168.1.1:0). So i have to set up the ~/.vnc/xstartup correct.

Now I'm at this state: i do have a lxpanel over vnc, but the desktop-wallpaper and the desktop-links are missing. Even the design is not equal to the display 0. How i can start a complete LXDE over VNC?

My xstartup now looks like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
[ -r HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
openbox &
lxpanel &
Thanks for help!

edit:
I found the solution! i just tried to "startlxde" in my putty window. it says, i have to install lxde-common. Funny thing, on a lubuntu, that comes with lxde, there are not the common packages inside...

After "sudo apt-get install lxde-common" i again tried "startlxde". Seemed to work on putty, but with no visible X. (i enabled X support for applications)
So i tried to insert "startlxde" in my ~/.vnc/xstartup... SUCCESS!!! Yes i have done that before with no effect. Nothing happened, because of the missing package! Even a errormessage was missing.

now my xstartup looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
[ -r HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
startlxde &
It's not the same design as my default Display, but it's complete with everything. NICE!
Knutowskie

Re: Lubuntu: start complete lxde via vnc

Post by Knutowskie »

Hey!
today there was a little problem...

when i boot up my lubuntu, the vnc server automatically starts. But there is a language problem:

when I connect to the lubuntu via VNC without logging in on the main-session, the whole lxde is complete in english.
"locale" says something different from de_DE.UTF-8

when i connect to it after logging in on the main-session, everything is fine. locale says de_DE.UTF-8

So i have to go to the computer to login at the main-session, before i can access it via VNC. this makes vnc a little bit useless in my case.

How i can fix this? Is there a way to tell the vncserver wich language should be set? Or maybe there is a way i can login on the main-session via vnc? Found sth. with gdm, but i'm using lxde... i think this wouldn't work.

When I start my VNC-Session, I'm logged in automatically as an user. maybe this is the problem?

I hope this time someone could help, I've tried nearly everything...
Knutowskie

Post by Knutowskie »

Now i have a little workaround for this problem. I post it just in case somebody else got the same problems.
It's not really a solution, but it will work for the time searching and waiting for a real solution of the problem.

1. I removed the script from /etc/init.d/ that autostarts the vnc server
2. I installed openssh on the server and a putty on my win7-pc
3. i log into the putty and start the server manually
4. this leads to a german interface when connecting the vnc, because the user i use to log in to the putty is the same for vnc.

Hope this could help sometimes.

cu
Knutowskie

Post by Knutowskie »

i want to push this thread, because my problem isn't really solved yet.

does anyone have a idea how i can log in to my system via vnc? this would make it a little bit easier to work with the remote system.
My posted workaround is not really effective. It should be safe because of ssh, but i want a easy to use solution for the user.

Is it possible to install gdm for login issues only? Or does lxdm have an graphical login interface, wich i could start in the xstartup? Important is the language of the desktop and the security. Multiple sessions are not really necessary, but it would be a nice feature.

cu
hansaplast

Post by hansaplast »

Edit ~/.vnc/xstartup for your user(s)

#!/bin/sh
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
exec ck-launch-session startlxde &      #for an lxde session
vncconfig -nowin &
To start vncserver for a user put code below in ~/.bashrc