Keyboard Shortcut for Application Menu - How?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
DirtyDawg

Keyboard Shortcut for Application Menu - How?

Post by DirtyDawg »

Hello, i would like to know if there is a keyboard shortcut to launch the main menu,
i am using Mint 11 with LXDE added, i downloaded something called obkey to assign it
but i dont know what to put in it, i can add a shortcut using that with an execute tag,
but what would i type to launch the main menu as if i had pressed the "Menu" button?

Thanks.
mike555

Re: Application Menu How?

Post by mike555 »

I think the command is;

Code: Select all

lxpanelctl menu
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

mike555 wrote:I think the command is;

lxpanelctl menu

lxpanelctl menu
Running this command in LXTerminal will open/start the menu. I think the OP is asking about how to assign a shortcut to open the menu.
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

adding the following to ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml worked for me (shortcut is Alt-m)

<!-- ****************************************************** -->
    <keybind key="A-m">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>lxpanelctl menu</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

rockdoctor wrote:adding the following to ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml worked for me (shortcut is Alt-m)

<keybind key="A-m">
      <action name="Execute">
      </action>
    </keybind>
rockdoctor, I see lots of lines inside that file so where exactly shall I add the above code? I'd like to test that myself and see what will happen :)
Does it matter where to place it inside that file?
LXNevermind

Post by LXNevermind »

For me the best is the end of keyboard section, becouse it's easy to find;) but you can place it anywhere you want in keyboard section.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

LXNevermind wrote:For me the best is the end of keyboard section, becouse it's easy to find;) but you can place it anywhere you want in keyboard section.

<keyboard><chainQuitKey>C-g</chainQuitKey><!-- Keybindings for desktop switching --><keybind key="C-A-Left"><action name="DesktopLeft"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="C-A-Right"><action name="DesktopRight"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="C-A-Up"><action name="DesktopUp"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="C-A-Down"><action name="DesktopDown"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="S-A-Left"><action name="SendToDesktopLeft"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="S-A-Right"><action name="SendToDesktopRight"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="S-A-Up"><action name="SendToDesktopUp"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="S-A-Down"><action name="SendToDesktopDown"><dialog>no</dialog><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind><keybind key="W-F1"><action name="Desktop"><desktop>1</desktop></action></keybind><keybind key="W-F2"><action name="Desktop"><desktop>2</desktop></action></keybind><keybind key="W-F3"><action name="Desktop"><desktop>3</desktop></action></keybind><keybind key="W-F4"><action name="Desktop"><desktop>4</desktop></action></keybind><keybind key="W-d"><action name="ToggleShowDesktop"/></keybind><!-- Keybindings for windows --><keybind key="A-F4"><action name="Close"/></keybind><keybind key="A-Escape"><action name="Lower"/><action name="FocusToBottom"/><action name="Unfocus"/></keybind><keybind key="A-space"><action name="ShowMenu"><menu>client-menu</menu></action></keybind><!-- Keybindings for window switching --><keybind key="A-Tab"><action name="NextWindow"/></keybind><keybind key="A-S-Tab"><action name="PreviousWindow"/></keybind><keybind key="C-A-Tab"><action name="NextWindow"><panels>yes</panels><desktop>yes</desktop></action></keybind><!-- Keybindings for running applications --><keybind key="W-e"><action name="Execute"><startupnotify><enabled>true</enabled><name>PCManFM</name></startupnotify><command>pcmanfm</command></action></keybind><!--keybindings for LXPanel --><keybind key="W-r"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl run</command></action></keybind><keybind key="A-F2"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl run</command></action></keybind><keybind key="C-Escape"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl menu</command></action></keybind><keybind key="F11"><action name="ToggleFullscreen"/></keybind><!-- Launch Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del --><keybind key="A-C-Delete"><action name="Execute"><command>lxtask</command></action></keybind><!-- Fast access to Terminal --><keybind key="C-A-T"><action name="Execute"><command>lxterminal</command></action></keybind><!-- Fast access to filemanager --><keybind key="C-A-D"><action name="Execute"><startupnotify><enabled>true</enabled><name>PCManFM</name></startupnotify><command>pcmanfm</command></action></keybind><!-- Keybinding for PrintScreen Key --><keybind key="Print"><action name="Execute"><execute>scrot</execute></action></keybind><keybind key="A-Print"><action name="Execute"><execute>scrot -s</execute></action></keybind><!-- Keybinding for Volume management -->
    <keybind key="XF86AudioRaiseVolume">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>amixer -q sset Master 3%+</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86AudioLowerVolume">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>amixer -q sset Master 3%-</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86AudioMute">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>amixer -q sset Master toggle</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86WWW">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>x-terminal-emulator</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86Calculator">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>galculator</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86MyComputer">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>pcmanfm</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<keybind key="XF86Terminal">
      <action name="Execute">
          <command>x-terminal-emulator</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

<!-- Keybindings for Multimedia Keys and LCD Backlight (alternative when not using gnome-power-manager or xfce4-volumed)
     <keybind key="C-F7">
      <action name="Execute">
        <execute>sleep 2;xset dpms force off</execute>
      </action>
    </keybind>
     <keybind key="C-F10">
      <action name="Execute">
        <execute>xbacklight -dec 10</execute>
      </action>
    </keybind>
     <keybind key="C-F11">
      <action name="Execute">
        <execute>xbacklight -inc 10</execute>
      </action>
    </keybind> -->
        <keybind key="A-m">
          <action name="Execute">
          </action>
        </keybind>
  </keyboard>
It didn't work for me. I'll check what's wrong.

Edit:
Now, I got an error msg (after I logged out and logged in again)
Great ... I don't even use Shortcuts for LXDE ... I just did that to test that on my machine. Need to fix that later. Don't have time for this :/
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (51.05 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
LXNevermind

Post by LXNevermind »

Delete "-->" ;) and try again, if that doesnt work tell us what do you have in those 2 lines that error is about;)

EDIT: you can also try command

lxtermianl -e lxpanelctl menu
instead of

lxpanelctl menu
but I dont think itll be necessary.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

LXNevermind wrote:Delete "-->" ;) and try again, if that doesnt work tell us what do you have in those 2 lines that error is about;)

EDIT: you can also try command

lxtermianl -e lxpanelctl menu
instead of

lxpanelctl menu
but I dont think itll be necessary.
If I remember correctly, I removed that "-->" after I posted but I'll check that ... I'm using another machine right now.
I love trying/testing so I don't mind messing my system up. After all, one can't learn how to fix the system unless he/she breaks it :D

Keep it up LXNevermind, I'm glad to see a new active member here :)

Edit: I just checked and it seems that I removed that code from my lubuntu-rc.xml file but the error msg is still showing up. My bad, I should have made a copy of that file as a backup before testing :/
amjjawad

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Application Menu - How?

Post by amjjawad »

Ok, I fixed the issue. I copied and paste the content of "Keyboard" section from this topic/thread to my file, saved it, logged out and it works just fine. Now, I guess it's time to re-do the test :D