Newby question

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bootmakr

Newby question

Post by bootmakr »

I'm currently using XFCE, which has crapped out on me - no applications menu from launch bar, no shutoff except by using the terminal :? I'm considering installing LXDE and then removing XFCE, but I'd like to ask if installing LXDE will pick up all the applications I have already installed or not. If not, how would I get them show up in an applications menu once I install LXDE? IOW, will I need to reinstall all the apps I want to keep?

Thanks

Dell 600 Lappy
1.6Gh intel centrino
1024 RAM
w/
LMDE (Debian clone)
Firefox and Iceweasel
LibreOffice
and others
seppalta

Re: Newby question

Post by seppalta »

I just installed LXDE over Mint 12 64-bit, which produced 7 distinct desktops, and then installed some applications while running LXDE as the desktop. All newly installed and already installed applications showed up in all desktops. Menus and controls were a mixed bag.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Thanks, this is Linux Mint Debian Edition 32 bit, not the *buntu Mint - I don't know if that will make a difference :?
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

bootmakr wrote:Thanks, this is Linux Mint Debian Edition 32 bit, not the *buntu Mint - I don't know if that will make a difference :?
I too had heaps of problems with Linux Mind Debian Edition for Xfce (LMDX). I installed it, it seemed fine and the the very next day LMDX crapped out; reverting to GNOME dependencies and there wasn't much left that looked like Xfce. No amount of fixing (or swearing) resolved that.

You could try Xubuntu; I've had no (Xfce) issues with that on my (ageing) desktop.

I myself use Lubuntu on my (ageing) laptop. Pretty well anything that works on Xfce will work just fine on LXDE. Some KDE apps, like KMyMoney, and some GNOME apps work fine on Lubuntu too.

LXDE has less GUI oriented STUFF (or "eye candy") than Xfce. It does take a bit more work to get things set just right to your liking. But it's some fast once you've got everything just right for yourself. LXDE also uses even less RAM than Xfce, even when I've got several apps running. I run Lubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite A-100 that originally had Window$ Vi$ta (gag). And Lubuntu seldom uses as much as 200 MB RAM (out of 1.5 GB RAM). Apps start up some kind of fast with LXDE. I've also tried messing about with Peppermint and Trisquel Mini; those are both good LXDE distros. As far as I know, Mint LXDE should work well too.

One reason I use LXDE on my laptop, is because of the more limited screen space. To me, LXDE seems ideal for smaller screens.

Even if you don't use Lubuntu and go for another LXDE based distro, do check out the Lubuntu home page (http://lubuntu.net/) for the very useful "Lubuntu Screencasts" that are posted there regularly. I learnt a lot about LXDE that way.

Also, the OMG! Ubuntu! site (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/) also has some handy Lubuntu-specific tips and tricks from time to tome.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!