webilder going bonkers

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
degarb

webilder going bonkers

Post by degarb »

Lxde has most things needed!

But missing 2 deal breakers: #1. Gui autostart editor. Finally, found the editable file after 4 hours of googling and posting. What are you all thinking? So, not a deal breaker anymore, just a head scratcher. #2. All windows guis need (apart from: start button with programs/admin, min/max window buttons, taskbar/tray) an auto wall paper swither that will download a flickrwall photo, and auto rotate every 5 to 15 minutes. This is a deal breaker, not only does it make slaving on a computer nicer for me (less like a closeted slave, that I am, at times.), but I have found repeatedly that with most non administrators this is the most appreciated feature on a computer worth paying for (as seen in webshots).

Alas!!! Webilder is going bonkers rotating wallpaper every 1 seconds with the following script to rotate the wallpaper. Help!

#!/bin/bash
DIR=/home/dennis/.webilder/Collection/Nature
FLOOR=1
RANGE=`ls -1 "$DIR"/*.jpg | wc | awk '// {print $1}'`

number=0

while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do

number=$RANDOM
while [ "$number" -le $FLOOR ]; do
number=$RANDOM
done
let "number %= $RANGE" # Scales $number down within $RANGE.
COUNTER=1
for X in "$DIR"/*.jpg
do
if [ $number -eq $COUNTER ]; then
pcmanfm --set-wallpaper "$X"
fi
COUNTER=$(($COUNTER+1))
done
COUNTER=1
sleep 5m
done
seppalta

Re: webilder going bonkers

Post by seppalta »

Webilder has nothing to do with the script you posted. It works independent of webilder, which should be only used to download pictures. Open webilder_desktop and under Tools>Preferences be sure the Rotate box is NOT ticked.

Where ever you store the rotate bash file that you posted, be sure you have ownership and that it is marked to execute (right click>Properties>Permissions). I usually keep these kinds of things in a file named Programs in my home folder to make the ownership thing automatic. Also, open Desktop Preferences (terminal: pcmanfm --desktop-pref) and be sure Wallpaper is directed to a picture in your wallpaper storage directory and that Center on the screen is chosen as mode.

See http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#6 for more information.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Thanks, I get it now. The script rotates, just not advanced enough to download flickr photos, like webilder. Thanks. This script should be on and part of the default desktop; that is, one with a wget downloader and old jpg deleter after xx days.*

On the subject of autostart programs, I added a simple launcher in preferences : gksu gedit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart . Had the lxde team done this, it would save millions of end user hours googling, and posting. Sure no gui, but once found, it is obvious how to add.

They also could comment out a wallpaper changing script in the autostart file.

*I like webilder, I don't like that the images dir just keeps growing. The windows counterpart just does one image at a time and deletes the old. At least webilder/script can rotate every 5 minutes and not just once per hour.
Last edited by degarb on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
degarb

Post by degarb »

The lxde wine application entries are missing too. I added what I could remember.

I changed the default menu icon to a penguin face. I know someday I will get a frantic call at work from kid who cannot find the menu. I now can just say click on the penguin face in bottom left corner for the start menu. This is easier than the penguin face.

I also think wbar is an essential application. However, this is only because the "application Launch bar" is poorly done. Idealy, this would be a single icon or double down arrows, when clicked would build/reveal the list in a verticle column above/below/to side of panel with our added application launchers.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I don't like that the images dir just keeps growing
Go to Tools>Preferences>General in webilder_desktop and edit the automatic download box to your liking.

You can add Wine Windows Program Loader to the Menu by editing (or creating) its .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. See Section (9) in http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Debian.htm for more information.

There are many ways other than using the main menu to launch applications with LXDE. See the end of Section 1 in http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html. Also, you might like to download and install the appropriate .deb file of myStuff from
http://kornelix.squarespace.com/packages/. It is a real neat one-click launcher that you can edit to include just about anything . I use it primarily for radio stations and a terminal and keyboard cheat sheet:
myStuff.png
myStuff.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 3260 times