startup apps and wiki / google useless

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
degarb

startup apps and wiki / google useless

Post by degarb »

I am trying out lxde to see if I can make it useful. Everything seems snappier than with gnome classic no effects. Forget about default ubuntu, which I don't think will run at all.

I got webilder (a must have application and a deal breaker for me) to work.

Now, I cannot figure out how to add a startup application to lxde.

So far, I got lxdesession-edit to run, but none of the junk I wish to add to startup is there. Then there is a garbled bit of text over on wiki, http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession#Au...tions_on_login

I do not understand those instructions. First off what is ~/directory? And how would this relate to gnome v. lxde?

I have also played with home/autostart adding lines of gedit and copying shortcuts to it. Setting permissions. No luck.

Need help.
gymka

Re: startup apps and wiki / google useless

Post by gymka »

degarb wrote:Then there is a garbled bit of text over on wiki, http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession#Au...tions_on_login
I do not understand those instructions. First off what is ~/directory?
"Both LXSession and LXSession Lite support freedesktop.org Autostart spec. Put *.desktop files of those applications in ~/.config/autostart, and they will get executed when the session starts." to me english is not native, but i don't have problems with understanding that sentence. i think you are not familliar with linux not only with LXDE :D "~" is home directory, not LXDE decided such term. all linux distros uses same terms, all distros(and desktop environments) at startup executes files in ~/.config/autostart + each distro/DE launches apps from their choosed path/file.

example of *.desktop file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=app
in your case:
webilder.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=webilder
"Kvailam gimti ne sarmata. Tik mirti kvailam gėda." E. M. Remarkas