email notifications

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Littlebig1

email notifications

Post by Littlebig1 »

Hi, I have been searching with no success so I hope someone
can help me here or point me to some documentation.
I would like to receive email notifications whenever a
new email arrives in my mailbox (is not gmail) something
similar (or near) to the LXDE notifications.
Please kindly explain how to do that ?

Best regards
Rex Bouwense

Re: email notifications

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Which email application are you using? Thunderbird notifies me that I have received email. Unfortunately, my email client is gmail and you said that yours is not gmail.
By the way welcome to the lxde forums.
Rex
Littlebig1

Post by Littlebig1 »

Hi, yes I'm using thunderbird, and I was looking for a notification like the one in claws-mail (which needs a plugins) so I
can see the state of my mailbox at any time. I'm using safe-mail.net provider. The problem is with the default configuration
I only get a short notification when a new email is received (though it seems I often miss them) so I ma looking for a
"stronger" solution... Thanks for your help.

Best regards
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. I found this but I have not used it (because I use Thunderbird and it suits my needs quite well):

Gnubiff

It is in the repositories. BY the way which OS are you using. I found it in the Lubuntu Software Center.
Rex
Littlebig1

Post by Littlebig1 »

Thanks a lot. I'm using Lubuntu 12.04 and I have installed gnubiff with

Code: Select all

apt-get install gnubiff
I have been using it for a while to test gnubiff as much as possible. I have to admit it's a good tool, with
pros and cons. Many options allow you to customize a lot. You can activate popups on new emails arrival,
personalize messages etc. It is sitting on your desktop or you can hide it and have gnubiff appear only
on new emails, but you cannot put it in the system-tray (which was what I was looking for at first).
You can also have gnubiff showing up in the taskbar or hide it. The best I could found is hide gnubiff from
the taskbar and show up on desktop only when new emails are not read (I'm using imap from my email
provider). But that's is not as convenient as claws-mail, which you can hide from taskbar and have it's
module displayed in the systray, showing an empty mailbox or a full mailbox icon when a new mail arrives.

It's really a pity that Thunderbird does not have it's own biff tool, just like in windows or mac-osx. After so
many years, I think such a basic tool (mandatory for beginners) should be a priority on developpers list :idea:

Best regards
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Hello and Welcome :)

If you have no further questions related to the same topic, kindly mark this topic as SOLVED :)

Thanks and enjoy Lubuntu ;)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net