Shutdown button problem

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
R791486

Shutdown button problem

Post by R791486 »

The shutdown button on the panel does not work for me. I have been forcing the shutdown via a command line but I would prefer to click a button. How do I get it to work? Is there another button I could install say into plank?

I have switched from Ubuntu to Lubuntu. I am using 12.04.

Robin
Rex Bouwense

Re: Shutdown button problem

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the lxde forum. First, Lubuntu 12.04 has already reached its end of life and is no loger supported. It hasn't been supported since October. Ubuntu 12.04 is still supported. Did you install Ubuntu 12.04 and then install lxde over it? or Did you install Lubuntu 12.04? I am not sure that it should make any difference as far as the power button is concerned though.

edit: After I posted, I found this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2116032
The comments may very well lead you to a solution, especially those by sudodus. Welcome again.
Rex
R791486

Post by R791486 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried:
Isudo vi /etc/default/grub
set
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=noirq quiet splash"

then

sudo update-grub
I have deleted the shutdown icon from the panel and so can not try the change. I thought the button might be corrupted and intended to reinstall. Do you know how to restore the shutdown icon? Which panel item will bring it back?

I have installed lubuntu into Ubunt 12.04. I did not do a fresh install of lubuntu.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Here you go.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... _add_it.3F
You did understand that Lubuntu 12.04 is dead. It sounds like you have Ubuntu 12.04 with the lxde desktop unless I have misunderstood you.
Rex
R791486

Post by R791486 »

Thanks for the links, which I am reading now.

Yes I think I have Ubuntu with lxde but when I log in I choose lubuntu as the system. I know I did not download Lubuntu but does the login option imply anthing about what I have installed.
R791486

Post by R791486 »

I have not been able to get the shutdown Icon to go back into the panel.

In the menu there is an item for logout, and else where for shutdown. Both do not work. Is it because the commands are lubuntu and my underlying system is Ubuntu? Should the commands be changed to refer to ubuntu instead of lubuntu? I don't think so from the following:
robins@office:~$ whereis logout
logout: /usr/share/man/man3/logout.3.gz
robins@office:~$ whereis ubuntu-logout
ubuntu-logout:
robins@office:~$ whereis lubuntu-logout
lubuntu-logout: /usr/bin/lubuntu-logout /usr/bin/X11/lubuntu-logout
robins@office:~$
So why do you think it is not loging out or closing down via the buttons?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

You have Ubuntu + LXDE which essentially is Lubuntu. There are probably very minor differences. Unless you uninstalled the Ubuntu unique libraries they are still on your computer. That is not a problem unless you have a small hard drive and need the space. There are probably many people using 12.04 with LXDE because there has never been a LTS version of Lubuntu and one is not scheduled to be released until 14.04. We are all awaiting that release because the versions that are still active 12.10, 13.04, and 13.10 are due to reach end of life in April 2014, January 2014, and July 2014. Since they moved the support for versions to nine months you are talking about a lot of re-installs (every nine months if you want the latest and greatest).
Rex
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

First question. No.
Second question. I don't know. Wait. More research required.

Edit:
Did follow the instructions that were provided in the previous post?
Rex
R791486

Post by R791486 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:First question. No.
Second question. I don't know. Wait. More research required.

Edit:
Did follow the instructions that were provided in the previous post?
I got into a slight muddle over following
After that, please right click on LXPanel > Add/Remove Panel Items > Add > Application Launch Bar > Add > double click on Application Launch Bar > Preferences > select Shutdown from the list and on the right and then click "Add" > Close > Close
But as the items are in the menu I assume I did it ok.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

So now you have the power button back on the LXPanel but it doesn't do anything.
Are you the only user on this computer? If you are, create a second user. That will give you a brand new default LXPanel for that user only.
Rex