LXDE missing after install

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Drew

LXDE missing after install

Post by Drew »

Hello,

I have tried several other distros on an old laptop and this one is looking the most promising. Thank you.

Installed from CD (debian-504-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso) by choosing the LXDE option. 'Graphical Install' was used. Software selection was 'standard' and 'laptop'. At no time during this process was there any option to install additional packages. Upon completion and reboot, console login prompt was rendered - I was expecting an LXDE gui login.

Does the installer require a network connection to download lxde? My laptop is wireless and LAN is WPA protected.

After login, several attempts to startup x11 and desktop failed: xinit, startx, startlxde. All produced 'command not found'.
dpkg -l | egrep -i lxde shows nothing.

It was my understanding that LXDE would be installed unless 'desktop environment' (gnome) was selected during install. Did I miss an installation step or is there an addition install that must be performed to get LXDE?

-drew
chrisssteeven

Re: LXDE missing after install

Post by chrisssteeven »

Hi,
LXDE does not provide a window manager and window decorator. They just strongly advise to use Open Box.
On ArchLinux, the group of packages "lxde" doesn't install Open Box, so you have to install it by yourself, or
install another WM. Then, you will need to configure the way you launch X so Open Box is used.
Drew

Re: LXDE missing after install

Post by Drew »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was confused by lxde.org screenshots and lack of installation notes for their ISOs.
A simple statements such yours would make life easier for lxde.org visitors.