New apps for LXDE

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
lm8

Re: New apps for LXDE

Post by lm8 »

Has anyone mentioned SearchMonkey or Asunder for possible inclusion with LXDE? I believe both are GTK based. Would be nice to see some other applications added, I really like some of the ones that are already part of this project like the lxtask program.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

asunder is a nice one, because it's really simple. SearchMonkey IMO is to fat. PCManFM already has a search tool and if you really need somthing more sophisticated I suggest catfish.
Fragadelic

Post by Fragadelic »

The problem with starting to add too much is that you limit who wants to use it then.

We all have different views on browsers, music players, media players, etc and the desktop environment should not interfere with it.

More focus needs to be put towards making lxpanel truly freedesktop.org standards compliant and adding more tools to do the routine things users need to do like add users, change passwords, set time and timezone,etc.

I've addressed most of these with my control panel I made for my distro but the tools I made are written in bash/zenity/gtkdialog:

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

harii wrote:I would like to see the use of slim--
The distro antix-mepis(m8) can Automatic login some how with slim?
I think a lighter window manager (like oroborus or firebox-wm) would be nice as well.
Nothing stops you from running any display manager or window manager you like. I run slim myself. One of the nice aspects of LXDE is that there aren't a lot of private communications mechanisms between the parts, so that you can easily do these substitutions.

See the comments in /etc/slim.conf for how to set up auto-login with slim.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

The idea of LXDE is that you install whatever applications you like on top of the minimal capabilities provided by the session manager and the panel. There aren't any LXDE-specific toolkits. So it doesn't make sense to "add applications to LXDE" the way you would with a KDE application that depends on the KDE libraries and its interapplication communication mechanisms.
wallywoo

Post by wallywoo »

Marty Jack wrote:The idea of LXDE is that you install whatever applications you like on top of the minimal capabilities provided by the session manager and the panel. There aren't any LXDE-specific toolkits. So it doesn't make sense to "add applications to LXDE" the way you would with a KDE application that depends on the KDE libraries and its interapplication communication mechanisms.
Okay, any suggestion for a user manager? Similar to kuser?
Thanks
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Use what works for you.
Debian Sid LXDE + GDM , Slim takes longer to load than GDM.
Browser: Uzbl http://www.uzbl.org/
lxterminal
shell-fm
irssi
deluge
k3b has fewer depends than Brasero.
apt-get/synaptic
parcellite
conky
evince
gedit
pcmanfm
mplayer/smplayer
I like that I can choose my own apps rather than having them all tied into the DE like kde/gnome does.

I love that my system boots to my lxde desktop in under 30 seconds.
Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi