what should i do to install lxde on lfs 6.5

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
hoanglong1712

what should i do to install lxde on lfs 6.5

Post by hoanglong1712 »

i had download all the code
in
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=180858
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=156956

and compiled all of them
with openbox

I have a lfs 6.5 version

I also looked at the guide at http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170

but I can not start lxde

what should I do
Marty Jack

Re: what should i do to install lxde on lfs 6.5

Post by Marty Jack »

I run LXDE quite happily on LFS. Make sure you have

* optionally lxde-icon-theme, or another icon theme, also hicolor-icon-theme from freedesktop, which you're always supposed to have
* lxde-common (branding)
* lxmenu-data (.menu file and the .directory files it references)
* lxsession
* lxpanel
* menu-cache
* shared-mime-info
* optionally, pcmanfm
* display manager and window manager of your choice, and set lxsession to launch the window manager, and set bootscripts to launch display manager in runlevel 5

Some of them need to be --sysconfdir=/etc, it does no harm to do them all that way

If you want all of the Shutdown/Reboot/Suspend/Hibernate to work you need ConsoleKit and UPower. I used init 6 for a long time until I was forced to run the others in order to debug the lxsession-logout support.

Set your display manager to launch bash -l -c "/usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE" when you log in so you run your .bashrc/.bash-profile to get your LANG and other stuff set.

If that fails to work what's your error. You're not going to get a lot of help from any open source project if your bug report detail is limited to "doesn't work".
hoanglong1712

Post by hoanglong1712 »

Dear Marty Jack
thanks for your help
I used to think that display manager and windows manager is one and they are LXDE or KDE
Was I wrong
Could you explain it for me and other newbie

I want to run startx, I do not need to use gaphic login screen
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

The display manager is the part that puts up the login box where you enter your username and password. It runs as root and launches your session controller after you have authenticated. It also launches the X server. We do not enforce the selection of display manager. Some common ones are xdm, gdm, kdm, slim, lxdm.

The window manager draws the title bar and other decorations around your windows. It also has the final say about where windows are placed on the screen. We do not enforce the selection of window manager, and there are dozens available. Some common ones that are used with LXDE are openbox and compiz.

LXDE is no more than:

lxsession, which launches the initial set of processes that run under your identity after you log in. These are given by /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and /etc/xdg/autostart/ *.desktop and ~/.config/autostart/*.desktop and /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf and ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf. It also contains lxsession-logout, which helps you log out or reboot.

lxpanel, which draws the panels at the edge that let you launch other applications and control the ones you have running, and display other useful information like what time it is.

pcmanfm, which gives you a graphical view of your filesystem, and draws the wallpaper and the desktop icons.

Many people seem to have the idea that LXDE is the whole system, or is a distro, but it is not. It is just those three things, and a few other applications like LXTerminal and GPicView. There are many alternatives to choose from for the applications, and it is not required that you run the ones LXDE happens to supply. This is in contrast to environments like GNOME, KDE, or Xfce, which are all inclusive and where you typically run mostly what they supply.

If you run startx, you should be able to put the window manager and the bash-launches-lxsession command in .xinitrc and launch them that way.