No Categorie Hamradio in LXpanel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
DG7MGY

No Categorie Hamradio in LXpanel

Post by DG7MGY »

LXpanel are taken up in the Application Categories no programmes of the categories Hamradio.
As a solution i edit the Categories at *.desktop Files and add Network so all Hamradio Stuff emerges the Categorie Network.

Like Xdx.desktop example.

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xdx
Comment=DX-cluster client for amateur radio
Comment[nl]=DX-cluster client voor zendamateurs
Exec=/usr/bin/xdx
Icon=/usr/share/xdx/pixmaps/xdx.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Hamradio;Network;
It works but it was not nice.
Is there a solution to add the Categorie Hamradio to LXPanel ?

Installed LXDE Packages from Debian:
lxde-common, lxde-core, lxde 0.3.2.1+svn20080509-5
lxsession-lite 0.3.6-2
lxpanel 0.3.8.1-2

Many Thanks for reading this Question

Hubert DG7MGY
kgas

Re: No Categorie Hamradio in LXpanel

Post by kgas »

Hello, this is the usual behaviour only and not the lxde fault. sadly some application won't create a .desktop file on installation or you may have not copied the one created during compiling. What you did is the correct way.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

I think he is talking about wrong .desktops, where he needed to change the categorie.
jenssley

Post by jenssley »

What he is asking is how to create new categories in the menu. If you were to install the hamradio program he is refering to in KDE, a new category, "Hamradio", would automagically appear in Kmenu. That doesn't happen in LXDE (at least not so far in my experience - 2 days). His fix was to add "Network" in the listed categories in the .desktop file so that it now appears under Network in the menu. Works well enough and I've done the same for several programs I've installed. But, is there a way to add new categories, Hamradio for example, to the menu or is the set of menu categories that are there by default, all there is (at least at this point in development)?

James
maces

Post by maces »

Hi

Oh I see. The problem is, that lxpanel only support categorys defined by freedesktop.org specs. So currently it's not possible.

maces
DG7MGY

Post by DG7MGY »

Thanks for your Comments,
sorry for my late posting but i was sick.
Yes it is right i need the Categorie Hamradio, looks better for for me and the Users.
I was made a Knoppix remastering special for Amateurradio Operators called AFU-Knoppix so it is nice to have all Amateurradio Stuff in one Categorie.

The additional Categorie Hamradio are related at Audio or Network from the Freedesktop specifications and so i edit all the Hamradio *.desktop Files to have it in the Categorie Network.

It would be nice if I could add the Categorie Hamradio by hand to the lxpanel Menu.

Many thanks for reading and comments

Hubert
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

The freedesktop menu specification is

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s ... c-1.0.html

If you were to follow the instructions to add a third-party menu item, it may do what you are trying to achieve. Haven't tested this myself however.
Fragadelic

Post by Fragadelic »

As of right now, lxpanel doesn't honour the extra directories from freedesktop.org and as such isn't truly freedesktop.org standards compliant. It only honours the registered main ones from the spec - see here for the spec:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s ... t/apa.html
Fragadelic

Post by Fragadelic »

If I'm not mistaken, PCMan said there are flaws with the standard and he doesn't really want to implement all of it. I'm fine with this actually but maybe add some way to add folders to the menu from within lxpanel to a separate menu.xml that would be read by it like openbox uses. This, IMHO would be the ideal solution.

I used to use MenuMaker with fbpanel on open box and it worked out not too bad but lxpanel won't honour changes. As soon as you right click on the panel to configure it, it overwrites the old one and you lose everything you put in.

I think I will put this idea in the request.