Potential easy improvements?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bugbear

Potential easy improvements?

Post by bugbear »

I'm using LXDE (and OpenBox) both on my old, slow home laptop, and on my Whizzy new work laptop, in the former case for low load, in the latter case because I find Unity intrusive and unusable.

So this post is about OpenBox.

I find the switch-window behaviour exemplary - displaying a list of Icons for each window, annotated with the window title. No "heavy" activity (window switching, redisplay) takes place until I release the key having made my selection.

Superb!

My request, generally stated, is to have something similar for desktop (AKA workspace) switching.

At the moment, the desktop switching GUI does both more and less than I want.

"More", in the sense that as soon as I hit a "select" key the desktop does indeed change and redraw, immediately. When I'm moving amongst 4-6 desktops, each with applications with significant Memory use (possibly virtual), these redraws can be unfortunate.

"Less", in the sense that the "icon" view that shows the selected desktop is not as "fancy" as the icons shown for each desktop in the panel.

On my slower machine, I would very much like desktop switching (and redraw) to be deferred (as it is for application switching) but for the "icon" to be the richer one from the panel.

BugBear
Rex Bouwense

Re: Potential easy improvements?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I'm not sure what you want to do but I should inform you that this is not the place to post requests for changes, improvements, or to report bugs or patches. Developers seldom read forums because they too are often volunteers like all of us on this forum and their free time is devoted to maintaining the current version or developing the next. However, if you could be a little more specific perhaps someone on this forum could help you with a work around. Once again welcome.
Rex
bugbear

Post by bugbear »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Welcome to the LXDE forum. I'm not sure what you want to do but I should inform you that this is not the place to post requests for changes, improvements, or to report bugs or patches. Developers seldom read forums because they too are often volunteers like all of us on this forum and their free time is devoted to maintaining the current version or developing the next. However, if you could be a little more specific perhaps someone on this forum could help you with a work around. Once again welcome.
That's OK - it was as much an observation of (what I thought) was a reasonably easy code change that would bring quite a large end-user benefit.

It's not important, and I don't have a problem that would require a workround.

I was just trying to contribute constructively to the design process.

BugBear
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great. Stick around and help us provide assistance to those of us who require assistance. We are all volenteers here as well, people who really like the LXDE no matter what OS you happen to be using.
Rex