Puzzled after reading a LXDE to LXQt article [SOLVED]

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
abacus7

Re: Puzzled after reading a LXDE to LXQt article [SOLVED]

Post by abacus7 »

Okay, here's everything I've done so far.

1. Earlier, I changed the bindings on all three configuration files: lubuntu-rc.xml, lxde-rc.xml, and rc.xml. (The latter is for openbox.) The change was to remove the Alt key from the right-click Resize binding.
2. I got the Resize function as desired, but lost everything else. This was in Lubuntu, which is my default session.
3. I changed the bindings back in all three files, and got my normal (i.e. older) right-click functions back, but lost the Resize function which was the whole goal of this post...
4. To narrow down the problem, I once again changed the bindings, but ONLY on the openbox rx.xml file. I then logged out of Lubuntu and into openbox and got the same problem -- no right mouse functions EXCEPT for the new ability to resize windows.

So that's where it stands right now. It's pretty clear that if I change the bindings in the rc.xml file for a specific session (i.e. Lubuntu, LXDE or openbox), the weird problem develops and affects that session.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Unfortunately I still don't know which rc.xml file is responsible for your keybinds because I don't actually use LXDE - maybe Rex Bouwense could chime in?
What you describes sounds like it's enough to edit ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml?

The actual problem: you succesfully changed the mousebind. but for which context? In my rc.xml, I found it under

Code: Select all

<context name="Frame">
I thought that means all window decorations, but apparently it means the whole window.
I also thought that the action "Drag" is different from "Press", but it seems it affects normal clicks, too, as you experienced.

tl;dr: find a different context.
I guess Titlebar could be suitable, but you then have to do sth about the right-click menu, too.
abacus7

Post by abacus7 »

drooly wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:06 am
The actual problem: you succesfully changed the mousebind. but for which context? In my rc.xml, I found it under

Code: Select all

<context name="Frame">
I thought that means all window decorations, but apparently it means the whole window.
Yeah, it was in the "Frame" context. It took me awhile to figure out what Frame meant, too. Openbox seems to have its own syntax.

It would be easier to analyze if I could just pare down the rc.xml file. So many of the functions relate to multiple desktops, and I use just one desktop. But one wrong move -- deleting the wrong angle bracket -- and I face computer ruin!
I also thought that the action "Drag" is different from "Press", but it seems it affects normal clicks, too, as you experienced.
Yep, that's definitely strange.
I guess Titlebar could be suitable, but you then have to do sth about the right-click menu, too.
I think I'll hold off from tinkering any more unless someone has a concrete solution. The problem with openbox configs is that you have to deal with multiple things at once: (1) XML, which sucks even with a syntax-highlighting editor, (2) the strange window-related syntax, and (3) the fact that for me, at least, the rc.xml is bloated due to the multiple references to multiple desktops. That just means more excess code to slog through.

I do appreciate your help in trying. There don't seem to be many mouse-centric people on Linux, so I'm grateful for any help I can get.