treat tabs as windows to simulate two pane filemanager

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
hudo

treat tabs as windows to simulate two pane filemanager

Post by hudo »

Hello,

it would be great if the opened tabs in pcmanfm can be treated as windows and fill respectively split the available space in the pcmanfm window.
This way the classical two pane filemanager could be simulated, which I think are even today useful.
maces

Re: treat tabs as windows to simulate two pane filemanager

Post by maces »

Hi

Fell free to add a future request on PCManFM's future request tracker.

maces
hudo

Post by hudo »

Sorry, I read that writing at the tracker at sourceforge is the usual way, but I hesitated, cause you have to register there. That's why I made my suggestions here.
Telecaster72

Post by Telecaster72 »

Hudo, i agree that would be great, i think Dolphin has that by pressing F3, but then that is a whole other beast with tons of KDE libraries and bloat...
Peter_Ziegler

Post by Peter_Ziegler »

Yes that would be a great and very helpful feature indeed.
Frank

Post by Frank »

May I ask what the suggested feature is good for? Starting two copies of a one-pane filemanager simulates a two-pane filemanager quite convincingly.
Telecaster72

Post by Telecaster72 »

Frank, it sure does, BUT, for us that easily ends up with cluttered desktops after a while it really helps to have one less window to care about. For instance, say you transfer files between folders by drag and drop with two separate filemanager windows open, then do something with a different program, then you want to go back to your file managing you have to locate both windows on your already cluttered taskbar or alt-tab for a while, instead of just open your filemanager and go on with your business.
If you want to move your manager to give space for another application you only have to move one window instead of two.
If you want to resize the manager you resize one window instead of two and then realign them.
Minimizing and maximizing takes only one click and no realigning, in a eeePC that would make life alot easier...
Tabs do this in a way and i would think they came about to take care of the above mentioned problems, but if you like drag and drop it is utterly useless, not saying i dont appreciate the tabs, i use them also.
I could go on, but also want to ask: why not? It is a useful feature.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Thank you for the explanation :-) I distribute different tasks across different desktops, so I have not encountered these troubles yet.
Telecaster72

Post by Telecaster72 »

Frank everybody works differently, and i guess that why we like Linux and how versatile it is right? I try to use different desktops as well but i am way too impulsive to remember doing that in the heat of the battle, and when i do i just end up with two cluttered desktops ;) *note to self: close windows when done*