Would like to install lxde by using a bash script but getting UI

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
brunzefb

Would like to install lxde by using a bash script but getting UI

Post by brunzefb »

Hi,

I am trying to install the lxde package on Ubuntu 20.04 server on an AWS EC2 instance using apt. I am running

apt-get install -y lxde

This causes install to run and show me a text/curses dialog asking if to install gnome3 or lightdm. In my case I would like to use lightdm. The prompt unfortunately interferes with the script execution, so I was wondering if it was possible to pass apt-get a config option to tell it what desktop manager I want to use, thereby skipping the UI and running completely unattended.

I have tried looking at apt-get install --config, but I'm not sure what the option to install the lightdm would be called.

I also tried looking for the source code is that builds the .deb package on github - but can't find that easily either.

If someone could point me in the right direction to look, or if someone knows the answer -- it would be greatly appreciated.

With user intervention, the installer runs perfectly fine - so its just the question of passing the installer my desired option.

Let me know if you can point me into the right direction.
Friedrich