where's my hdd?

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Jackaloof

where's my hdd?

Post by Jackaloof »

Hi

Looking for help of course here.

Installed Lubuntu a while ago, been enjoying speed and mild clean looks with nice non crowded start menu since and had happy days.
Now, did something last night: installed Gnormalize, audio formats converter program, previously needed to add repository, but no probs.
Since installation seemed strange in Synaptic window, as could see even kernel been updated beside other demonic amount tasks rushing,
I restarted computer after(expected program had not appeared into start menu also) everything calmed down and I shut finished Synaptic.
Now, since that happened, my hdd has not been recognized to boot even been left only boot device visible and allowed for motherboard.
I have been tweaking BIOS every possible way just to be shure, no memory fault found, no reason for failing found known to me.
Every time I try to start pc it ends doing Memtest whitch seems to be placed into Lubuntu Grub file by default, just as boot option.
I did let twice the memtest to process till finish just to see if this is something like one time case, but no change.
Just now I am on the very same pc with the same distro running Live cd and seeking for help, any ideas to revitalise that hdd.
I can see into it, tho, can browse files and run media, but my bookmarks seem to be gone for good and this becomes another time waster.
I must say, am not the brightest mind in Linux, I enjoy it as much possible through intuitive approach, but lack fundamentals in knowledge.
So, maybe somebody here can hint me what could have happened and how to turn thing back to that system alive.

Thanks, whoever been concerned.
maces

Re: where's my hdd?

Post by maces »

Hi,

1. If you want any help, please format your text. it's very hard to read it this way.

2. I don't think this is related to LXDE/PCManFM, but anyway you can test the new version of PCManFM. Please also ask in the L/Ubuntu-forums for help, they could help you more I think.

maces
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

It would seem something got damaged in your boot configuration. The general procedure would be boot a rescue system from CD or USB, mount your boot disk on that, fix /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg depending if your distro uses grub 1 or grub 2. You need to re-make a boot entry for the kernel, which will be in /boot on the root partition.

If this makes no sense to you, it might be simpler to reinstall from scratch, or ask for help from your distro. LXDE is a very small part of what you are running and while we will help if possible, no one here has anything to do with how your system boots or the package upgrade software.
Jackaloof

Post by Jackaloof »

1)
1. Yep, guilty, but that is my way, despite I feel strong draw towards all IT areas, I never get good enough for priticular sentensing, thereby "intuitive" my way. :)
2. I turned my question also to this forum here, as not knowing if any dependency issues where causing possibly what happened, as LXDE distribution got for
my opinion heaps of lib-or-whatever lines running through Synaptic's task window with showing there Gnome. Sorry, forgot to write about this in original post.

So, that's why decided to ask also from here, strange way written and all that.. :P

2)
Yes, I did suspect something like that been happening there, to the boot config file. However, as not so experienced and been grown towards alone,
just done try, try, another try, and because me and Dummies-series do not fit at all, neither other books of this kind, am just troubled - personal issue.
Other wise would reformat with no trouble at all - I do know my homework I have learned/pushed my self through already, but I value the search amount
been stored as bookmarks in this priticular one just as quite few rare torrents, all somewhere near to 90%, been ticking there for couple months long.
Just trying to save this one, this time.
Besides, may be it IS the time to learn the boot issues up to 100% now..
Have got bored of disto trying game already some while ago anyways and settled myself exactly LXDE and Openbox minded.

Thanks anyways, I try my best from here.

TÄNAN ;)
aus9

Post by aus9 »

hi

yes it looks like....altho your first post does not specify......that your bootloader has had its default set to memtest.........

and

I assume....altho you don't specify....your distro is using a "hidden" menu.....so you are unable to see the choices to arrow down or up to...instead of memtest.

There is also an even uglier option called .........saveddefault.......often used by ubuntu style distros............and I hate it.

What that does is this....it saves last known boot option...so even if you are just curious to try out something....the blinking thing decides that will be your next reboot option

2) boot a live cd....and post your /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg ....inside a code box please

If you have caught my drift........use root powers in live cd ...to mount the boot partition and edit out all mention of hiddenmenus....and default saved.....and savedefault

3) However, without knowing how confident you are....there is one more easy thing for you to try

keep on pressing "ESCape" key after bios tests....to get out of hidden menu so you can see the options

good luck