Help installing LXDE on FreeBSD

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
thearcherblog

Help installing LXDE on FreeBSD

Post by thearcherblog »

Good night!

I'm totally newbie on FreeBSD but I installed LXDE before on Linux systems without problems. Perhaps there is a different way to do the things but I can't install it.

I think there is 2 possible ways:

a) Install from ports:

If I'm not wrong.... all I have to do is going to terminal and type: cd /usr/ports/x11/lxde-meta/ && make install clean

Well... my computer is not a concorde but it takes a lot of hours and make me a lot of questions and ends with a error :( I think is installing a lot of things that I don't need... :S

b) The second way is install it from web with pkg_add:

"pkg_add -r lxde-meta" gives me the next error:

"Error: Unable to get ftp://..............................................File unavailable............................... etc..."

c) Install from "sysinstall":

I type sysinstall.... I go to "Configure".... "Packages" ..... "FTP".... "Main Site" [but I probe others too] and...:

"Warning: Can't find the 8.1-STABLE-201008 distribution on this FTP Server. You may need to visit a different server for the release you are trying to fetch or go to the Options menu and to set the release name to explicitly match what's available on ftp.freebsd.org (or set to "any")"

Well... I probe other FTP servers and setting "any" to the release name... but, If I do that, other error appears:

"Unable to get the packages/INDEX file from selected media.

This may be because the packages collection is not available on the distribution media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site without the packages collection mirrored. Please verify that your media, or your path to media, is correct and try again"

Well, that's all I know.

Please, excuse my very poor english and hope to find a solution.

Thanks a lot.

TheArcher
Marty Jack

Re: Help installing LXDE on FreeBSD

Post by Marty Jack »

Little if any work has been done to make LXDE run on FreeBSD. To my knowledge the developers do not have access to it, so there will be no support. There will be situations where for example the layout of /proc differs between Linux and FreeBSD, so there will be coding that would have to be done to accommodate FreeBSD. You are on your own.
thearcherblog

Post by thearcherblog »

Well, If I understand you correctly, LXDE don't have any support to install it on FreeBSD. What a pitty! I think is the best desktop envinroment I ever use.

I hope someday I can install it.

Anyway, the lxde-meta install too many things and don't follow the KISS way. This is my first time with FreeBSD and I'm coming from Archlinux :) Perhaps someone has installed it without the "meta" package and can help me.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

It is open source, so nothing prevents anyone from doing the work to support any other platform. That person would need to stay around and offer long term support however, since otherwise bit rot would set in and there would be a mess later.
thearcherblog

Post by thearcherblog »

I'd like to be that man!!! but I don't have enough knowledge to do it :) Perhaps some day.

Thanks for your answers and explanations.