Fedora 15 Live: Install to Hard Drive: Not enough RAM

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
tydeman

Fedora 15 Live: Install to Hard Drive: Not enough RAM

Post by tydeman »

I can boot Fedora 15 Live with LXDE via a USB memory stick. When I click on "Install to Hard Drive", I get: Not enough RAM. Fedora requires 640 MB and I only have 512 MB.
This is my first try at using Fedora LXDE. I read that it requires only a "small" system to run, so I am surprised that the install needs so much.
I have used Fedora Gnome in the past (FC 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14), but that will not install Fedora 15 with the same complaint of needing 640 MB and only having 512 MB.
Is there some other way to install Fedora 15 with LXDE?
ghostdawg

Re: Fedora 15 Live: Install to Hard Drive: Not enough RAM

Post by ghostdawg »

I was able to install Fedora 15 with LXDE on a machine with 512mb of ram, but I wasn't able to boot the Gnome3 version. Of course I used the livecd. I would guess it doesn't matter which device you're using. I had an issue during my inital install using blank cd-rw, they were causing the issue, but when I burned the iso on a regular cd-r, I was able to install it.

Maybe you can open a console and run 'liveinst', without the quotes and see what happens.

Just a thought.
tydeman

Post by tydeman »

After doing: liveinst --help
I tried:
liveinst
liveinst -T
anaconda -T --liveinst
anaconda -T
anaconda -C
both as liveuser and as root. In all cases, I got: You need 640 MB and only have 512 MB.
tydeman

Post by tydeman »

I burned a CD-ROM and booted just fine. But, when I select to install to hard disk, I still get: Need 640 MB, only have 512 MB.
sea

Post by sea »

In most cases, the biggest 'ram eater' is the GUI itself.

If you have a DvD writer, or at least a 4gb usb stick, i'd suggest using the complete 'source', not a live spin
Boot from the dvd/usb, and during the "wait x seconds to boot" select the command line installation. You wont have a fancy installer gui, but it should do the trick.

However, there's a parameter to 'override' the ram check, sadly i dont recall its name.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed ... ra_15.html

Fedora probably has the best documentation I have ever seen so far.
I remember first time I wanted to use Fedora, I start reading their installation guide and it was almost 100% enough for me but had one or two questions.

"Documentation" is the most important step that MUST be done in any Software Project or even Hardware Project.

I'm not sure why Fedora's Team can't make it even easier? I do remember that I have installed ... I think Lubuntu on P4 with less than 460MB RAM and the LiveCD just worked and got the GUI. I think it was Lubuntu 10.04.
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
sandi

Post by sandi »

vi /usr/sbin/anaconda
then disable memory checking , then save . ( see below code )

Running with ssh -X and remote X server I got installed live iso on a machine with 512 MB.
( to start sshd : "service sshd start"; change your password, then open ssh port )
anaconda is quite dumb at computing requirement for cases when you do remote liveinst :

Code: Select all

def check_memory(anaconda, opts, display_mode=None):
    reason_strict = _("%s requires %s MB of memory to install, but you only have "
                      "%s MB on this machine.\n")
    reason_graphical = _("The %s graphical installer requires %s MB of memory, but "
                         "you only have %s MB.")

reboot_extra = _('\n'
                     'Press <return> to reboot your system.\n')
    livecd_title = _("Not enough RAM")
    livecd_extra =_(" Try the text mode installer by running:\n\n"
                    "'/usr/bin/liveinst -T'\n\n from a root "
                    "terminal.")
    nolivecd_extra = _(" Starting text mode.")

if not display_mode:
        display_mode = anaconda.displayMode

extra_ram = 0
    reason = reason_strict
    total_ram = int(isys.total_memory() / 1024)
    needed_ram = int((isys.MIN_RAM + extra_ram) / 1024)

##to disable memcheck requirement uncomment folowing line: 
    #needed_ram = 500
    if needed_ram > total_ram:

:idea: Maybe a bug shall be posted against anaconda to have it correctly computing memory requirements for all supported installation options (command line options) .... :idea: