No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
glenvee

No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

Post by glenvee »

I just downloaded the ISO for Lubuntu 11.04 (lubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso) from http://lubuntu.lafibre.info/11.04/

I verified the ISO md5sum, then burned the ISO to CD using an ISO-burning utility I use all the time. Booted a Dimension 3000 desktop pc with the CD, chose English, selected the menu item to check the disc for errors, and it passed with no errors. Rebooted to the CD again and selected the option to run Lubuntu "without making changes", in other words, to run the Live CD.

I never get a desktop.... after the blue loading screen I get a black command screen, with the lines:
  • Loading the saved state of the serial devices....
    *starting NTP server ntpd
    *starting Bluetooth

Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 (GNU/Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686)
    *Documentation: <website link>

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ (flashing cursor here)
Why is it not starting the Lubuntu LXDE desktop, or any GUI at all?

I'm getting the same thing on two different machines, repeatedly. The machines have more than adequate hardware to run Lubuntu Live CD: Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive running XP.

...glen
glenvee

Re: No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

Post by glenvee »

Sorry for the multiple posts... your forum software is not working well with my Opera browser. I submitted my post and it just sat there for minutes, so I stopped it and submitted again... and it did the same freeze about 4 more times. I gave up and now I see it submitted the post each time without refreshing the page.

Moderator, please remove all but one for me.
sea

Post by sea »

After login in, prefered with your user account, have you tried to startx?
glenvee

Post by glenvee »

sea wrote:After login in, prefered with your user account, have you tried to startx?
What login? What user account? It's a Live CD, booting from the CD, not an installation on the hard drive.
I'm a PC Windows user trying out Lubuntu from the Live CD, for possible use on an old machine.
As stated in the Lubuntu Wiki:
"Lubuntu is targeted at "normal" PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware. Such users may not know how to use command line tools...."

I know MS-DOS and DR-DOS, but not Linux, Unix, Posix, *ix. The point of the Live CD boot is to NOT have to use commandline tools, to be able to test Lubuntu for Linux newbies. The same machine starts other Live CD's fine.... I've used Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD boot with it, as well as Linux-based live A-V discs from Kaspersky and from BitDefender, without having to alter the standard boot process for the discs in any way. In fact, I've used those discs on numerous computers, Dell and otherwise.

I'm guessing I have to try some of the options at the initial screen before starting the Live CD boot, under F6 or F1>F7... but there is no mention in the Lubuntu documentation about what those options do, when or why to use them, and which to use. Nor do I see any mention of why other Linux and Ubuntu variants will start their Live CD boot just fine on the same machine, but Lubuntu is a fail.
sea

Post by sea »

startx is the command to "Start X11 Desktop Enviroment" hence, lXde..

For the livecd (over read that) there is no user , right, so just type startx, and tell us what happend ;)
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

glenvee wrote:Why is it not starting the Lubuntu LXDE desktop, or any GUI at all?

Most likely situation is a disconnect between kernel mode setting and your graphics card. Starting X from the command line (via the startx command) will either work around the problem or provide some clues as to the precise problem.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

When someone boots from the LiveCD and choose "Try Lubuntu without installation" which is the first option in the list, he/she can't get a GUI but instead gets CLI.

To get the Live Desktop please do the following (note this is not a real solution as the developers has to do something about it):

1- Boot from your LiveCD of Lubuntu 11.04 (Lubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 has exactly the same issue).
2- Choose "Install" - don't choose "Try".
3- When you see the first screen on the installation process which is choosing the language, "Exit" or "Close" that screen.
4- Once you close that screen, you'll get the Live Desktop after that.

Please try that out and let me know if it will work or not.

I see no point to type "startx" or whatever to get the Live Desktop as it should work without anything.

I also need to highlight that issue and send to the developer. Just can't find enough time lately :(
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I do recommend you to use a LiveUSB instead of a LiveCD if your PC allows USB-boot up, hence, if the distro you are giving a try isn't working at all, well you just change it for another one that works well. Besides, you benefit from having persistence as well for all your data configuration without installing the system.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

glenvee wrote:Sorry for the multiple posts... your forum software is not working well with my Opera browser. I submitted my post and it just sat there for minutes, so I stopped it and submitted again... and it did the same freeze about 4 more times. I gave up and now I see it submitted the post each time without refreshing the page.
Please make sure to submit ONLY once and if you are in doubt, you can open your thread in a new tab and make sure whether it's posted or not :)
I always do that in order to not create more than one thread/post.
Moderator, please remove all but one for me.
Done ;)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hey amjjawad. Enjoyed your posts on the Ubuntu Forums and now I see you here too. Are you a mod here? Sorry for being off topic.
Rex