How do you install LXDE instead of Windows XP

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
NipponMonkey

Re: How do you install LXDE instead of Windows XP

Post by NipponMonkey »

Yeah, mine is a Latitude D600.

Should I run any security programs like AVG, or do I get good protection on the web without any extra software?

All of the programs I've installed seem to work great - impressed so far.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Of the 50 or so Linux virus that are out there, none are active. If you interact with Microsoft Windows through email or file transfer, it is possible that you might transfer a Windows virus to them. Windows virus do not affect a Linux system, but that of course is not to say that you are completely out of the woods. If you are careful and don't do careless things on the Internet, the likelyhood that you will have a problem is very remote. However you are never 100% secure. You will never be 100% secure unless you never get on the Internet. I have been using Linux systems since 2008 (exclusively) and have never had a problem. If you feel more sucure with an anti-virus system installed by all means install one. AVG is an excellent one.
Rex
NipponMonkey

Post by NipponMonkey »

Oh great, I've read loads of articles about security tests on Windows, Macs and Linux machines and Linux always kicks ass, but I wasn't sure if I need to install extra software or not. I'm pretty careful what I download, I like synaptic as I can install almost all of the software I normally use in one go - that's awesome. Get's you up and running quickly. Also, as you install most things through synaptic, you can be sure that the downloads will be safe too rather than getting obscure software from all over the place with windows.

I don't think I use any native Windows software these days, only Excel for a few things, but I use Gmail Documents a lot of that now.

I might install a more heavyweight version on my main PC too. My main PC is a i5 64 bit with 4 or 6GB RAM (can't remember). Is Ubuntu the best desktop version or would you recommend any of the many other versions?