new install on HP laptop

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
grdrat

new install on HP laptop

Post by grdrat »

machine specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03687717

Recently started in the UNIX/Linux world. I have a Windows machine with a key not recognized by Microsoft. (I purchased the copy of win 8). So I decided I would try a different OS. So I chose Debian and the GUI of LXDE. Debian works well. LXDE works for web browsing, etc. I started having issues when I tried to print a document from an email, Firefox printed without issues. The machine does not recognize the printer for local printing.
So I ended up on the HPLIP website to download the pkg to access my HP 3390 laser jet. It fails to load due to dependencies. It searches for the dependencies, and fails. Certain ones are not available for download. Yet I search the Debian web site, and I find the missing files. I downloaded all the missing dependencies, attempt to unpack and install. These files won't install. This has been one big rabbit hole I've gone down now for almost a week. Just to print a document locally.
Attempting to install an office program to modify the document is an entirely different adventure. I did get libreoffice to install and function good.
This is not the OS solution I was looking for. I understand being that this is open source, and free, that there is going to be some extra work involved, compared to purchasing Windows, or Mac OS commercially available it is frustrating.

Attempting to do simple tasks, becomes a week long process, without success.
I still am unable to print locally, the sound interfaces that come with LXDE do not work. I've gone to the forums to try to correct, and still, no sound. There are other issues with he build. If this is the alternative to Windows, I am not sold on it.
grdrat

Re: new install on HP laptop

Post by grdrat »

So, build 2, on older HP laptop originally built for XP. Built with the same software as the above mentioned machine. The 2d one; sound works, trackpad mostly works, still not able to print locally. I tried last night to install CUPS 2, unsuccessful. I was able to install LibreOffice without issues. For the most part, the second machine works, it is a bit much on the processor, it gets spun up and stays around 80%. So, the other machine, I'm thinking of reinstalling both Debian and LXDE to see if anything improves.
grdrat

Post by grdrat »

So, round two on the Debian install with LXDE GUI. After much tinkering and numerous internet searches, I'm able to successfully connect to my hP 3390 printer via CUPS. After changing a few settings; 1. I did not have all of the repositories selected in Synaptics package manager to update/search for packages, and 2. my ignorance in understanding the system(s) and how they work together. It is a learning curve for me. Still have much to learn and understand. Next issue is to get all of the devices to operate correctly. Currently, bluetooth will not connect to any devices, and the trackpad still will not behave like a mouse (if it is supposed to) more research on the trackpad. Bluetooth does activate, and finds the devices, but will not stay connected.

With these new findings, I will relook at the other laptop and correct the settings to reflect the changes on the older machine.

A work in progress...
drooly

Post by drooly »

a nice personal log of your experiences with debian.
but none of this relates to LXDE (which is a desktop environment and not a gnu/linux distribution) - i think your experiences would be more suited for the debian forum.
also, i'm not sure if you actually need help with something? i'd have loved to see you install some linux on that other, newer machine.