screen resolution problem

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
glogo

Re: screen resolution problem

Post by glogo »

Hello

we're back.

this is the thing. Somehow, it should be possible to dictate to the system which resolutions are loadable. Still it has not been possible to do this.

Can anyone please lift the lid on this mystery? xorg.conf editing is totally useless.

recently installed an application for which I need a totally different resolution than the one I am running.

I tried to change my resolution using the command I used above.

this time it does not work. and when I try it over the command line, it says this is not a valid resolution. so, where can we set these resolutions, please?

basically, I want to have only 3 or 4 resolutions, but lxde gives me a big list of 9 or t0 different ones, but the one I would like to have as an option (not the default, mind you) is not there.

So, I still want to know... HOW DOES THIS WORK? :evil: who konws?

greetings,
g
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Once again,

/var/log/Xorg.0.log contains the log of what resolutions were detected that will work on your hardware
If the resolution you want to use is not listed, the Xorg log will give you a clue why it is believed to be unsuitable
man xrandr explains how to use xrandr
If you have further difficulty your distro support is the place to go to work on it
glogo

Post by glogo »

:)
Yes, thanks, I was not really upset, or even really exasperated, just really puzzled.
So, I opened that file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) and found one res that may be useful.

as always, thanks for your patience and (repeated) hints.

have to log out to restart xserver to see if it will work. brb

glogo
glogo

Post by glogo »

as it turns out, we are still not able to access the modes we wanted to use. the command to change the mode returns an error that this mode is unavailable, even though it shows up in the log file.

so, this is a limitation perhaps of this new desktop sw, which we are willing to live with for the moment. very grateful for this software, as it enables non-linux users access to a functioning desktop and the best thing for me is that it automatically loads usb sticks etc. this is very easy to use and it's great that we found it. thanks for all your help and support.
glogo
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

I would encourage you to seek help from your distro's support. This points to something wrong in some part of the xorg software, which they can help you isolate.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Actually there is much stuff changing in graphic things in the kernel. Mode switching is moving away from drivers to kernel and other things. If you have atm a intel card, there might be some problems with things, depending on which card, which driver and which kernel you (or your distro) use.
I never had any problems with resolutions by compiling X with hal and using quite light xorg.conf files with resolutions in it.