Failed to Start Session error

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Veganman

Failed to Start Session error

Post by Veganman »

Hello! I need some help with a login issue.

I did a mini.iso install on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. First, I left the Task-sel options blank, then, when at a terminal login-prompt on restart, I installed Lubuntu-core. It worked fine. Realizing, I wanted something a little different, I started over, did the same process, but installed Lxde-core instead. This time, when I restarted, I got to the login and password and, when I typed my password, I received a Failed to Start Session error. Going back to terminal and typing Startx gets me to the desktop. I checked that LightDM was installed and it was.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything else to check or any ideas as to what the problem is causing the Failed to Start Session error.

Thanks in advance!
Veganman

Re: Failed to Start Session error

Post by Veganman »

Just tried this again on an Dell Optiplex 3010. Still getting the error.

Does anyone know if I need to install another package either before or after the installation of LXDE-core? I have installed this before and didn't have any issues. I am not sure if I am forgetting a package or maybe 18.04 requires another step.

Grateful for any thoughts.
andrezz

Re: Failed to Start Session error

Post by andrezz »

you need to install the lxdm display manager in order to boot correctly lxde (at least for first time), and setting it up by default.
# apt-get install task-lxde-desktop
# apt-get install lxdm

OR
manually configure a ~/.xinitrc file.