installing LXDE on BodhiLinux Topic is solved

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Rosika

installing LXDE on BodhiLinux

Post by Rosika »

Hi altogeher,

currently I´m using Lubuntu 18.03.5 LTS, 64 bit.
As this version will reach EOL next April I will have to do a fresh/clean install by then.

As a matter of fact Lubuntu uses the LXQt desktop environment in 20.04 which I don´t like very much. So I´m looking for another distro.

As I´ve been using BodhiLinux in a VM for quite a while now (and I like it very much) I´m definitively considering switching over to Bodhi as my main system.
Although I like the Moksha desktop quite well I was pondering whether it would be possible to install LXDE as a 2nd desktop environment on top as Bodhi is built on top of Ubuntu.

On https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Installation I found:

Code: Select all

Install LXDE onto an existing Linux system [...]
Instructions for Ubuntu/Debian (APT) [...]
Open a terminal as root and type:

# sudo apt-get install lxde

If you want to use the Lubuntu-packages (for Ubuntu-based systems), type:

# sudo apt-get install lubuntu-core lubuntu-icon-theme lubuntu-restricted-extras
So basically I´d like to listen to your views/opinions:
Would this procedure work with Bodhi as well?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Many greetings.
Rosika :)
drooly

Re: installing LXDE on BodhiLinux

Post by drooly »

Why not.
However: if Lubuntu changes to LXQt, maybe lubuntu-core etc. packages will reflect that aslo? Watch out for what is going to be installed.
Rosika

Post by Rosika »

Hello drooly,

thank you very much for your answer.

So this looks good then.
However the point you made is certainly worth taking into account. I must admit I wouldn´t have thought of that. :oops:
So if I want the pure LXDE desktop then

sudo apt-get install lxde 
would be the way to go.

BTW: Do you by any chance know something about the future of LXDE? Will it be maintained in the foreseeable future?
I´ve already looked around but couldn´t find a definitive answer anywhere.

Thanks so much.
Greetings.
drooly

Re: installing LXDE on BodhiLinux  Topic is solved

Post by drooly »

Rosika wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:56 pmDo you by any chance know something about the future of LXDE? Will it be maintained in the foreseeable future?
See my signature.
There's also one or two threads here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39608
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39928
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38309
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39744

It's very much alive. But it's not a project like other DEs, with defined goals etc. Rather a loose conglomerate of lightweight applications.
Rosika

Post by Rosika »

Hello drooly,

thank you so much for your reply. Your info is much appreciated.

I´ve read all the info provided by your links and your signature.

It´s especially https://github.com/LXDE which seems to indicate that the components of LXDE are still pretty well maintained.
Rather a loose conglomerate of lightweight applications.
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. ;)

As far as my original "problem" is concerned (fresh install of an OS with LXDE desktop) I´ve also found an alternative to my Bodhi project:
LXLE (https://lxle.net/ ) is a distro which claims the following:
Light on resources; Heavy on functions.
Always based on Ubuntu/Lubuntu LTS.
Uses an optimized LXDE user interface.
I suppose that would suit my needs as well... ;) :?:

Thanks a lot for your help.
Many greetings.
abacus7

Post by abacus7 »

Rosika wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 pm Hi altogeher,

currently I´m using Lubuntu 18.03.5 LTS, 64 bit.
As this version will reach EOL next April I will have to do a fresh/clean install by then.

As a matter of fact Lubuntu uses the LXQt desktop environment in 20.04 which I don´t like very much. So I´m looking for another distro.

As I´ve been using BodhiLinux in a VM for quite a while now (and I like it very much) I´m definitively considering switching over to Bodhi as my main system.
Although I like the Moksha desktop quite well I was pondering whether it would be possible to install LXDE as a 2nd desktop environment on top as Bodhi is built on top of Ubuntu.
If you really like the old Lubuntu, I'd recommend BunsenLabs. It's a polished Openbox distro based on Debian. Just add LXDE and you have old Lubuntu.

I too tried Bodhi, but it took some doing to get rid of the Moksha look which I personally didn't care for.

I've looked into LXLE as well but it's just one guy developing it and he doesn't post very often and hasn't really kept readers informed of what his future plans are for the distro. Plus there seems to be a lot of extra software in LXLE per the developer's taste.

The easy way to go is just add LXDE to BunsenLabs. BL is a very active community.

Also, LXDE was updated in February 2021 (Updates to LXDE). That was pretty nice to see. :)
Rosika

Post by Rosika »

Hi abacus7,

thank you for your reply. It´s very informative and interesting indeed. ;)

Well, in the meantime I performed a fresh/clean install of Lubuntu 20.04 which means I´m using LXQt now.

Thinking about what to do was a pretty long process in the course of which a also dowloaded LXLE and booted it from a USB stick.
I was pretty astonished to learn it´s not as resource-friendly as I thought it would be.
725 MB RAM usage when idle directtly after boot.

Indeed I tried a few other ISOs that way as well:

Mate 20.04: 689 MB
 lubuntu 20.04: 320 MB
 lubuntu 20.04.1: 370 MB
 lxle: 725 MB
As I´ve got 4 GB of RAM I opted for lubuntu 20.04 then. ;)

But BunsenLabs looks good so far. Thanks a lot for suggesting that and thanks for the links. I´ll definitively look into it.

I was seraching around a bit but couldn´t find any info regarding support period.
What I like though is the fact that package management is DEB.

Many thanks again.
Greetings from Rosika and keep safe. :D
drooly

Post by drooly »

abacus7 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:38 amIf you really like the old Lubuntu, I'd recommend BunsenLabs. It's a polished Openbox distro based on Debian. Just add LXDE and you have old Lubuntu.
But the result then won't be polished anymore.
In that case I'd rather recommend installing Debian proper, and opting for an LXDE desktop.

If you like how Bunsenlabs handles things you might consider simply using that instead.
BunsenLabs (...) is a very active community.
I don't think it's very active, and I've seen some pretty evil things happening there recently, performed and condoned by developers.
Rosika wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:26 pmI was seraching around a bit but couldn´t find any info regarding support period.
What I like though is the fact that package management is DEB.
Sorry, is this question about BL or Lubuntu?
In any case, I believe Lubuntu does not follow *buntu's LTS timetable.
BL follows Debian stable's release cycle & support.
Rosika

Post by Rosika »

Hi drooly,

thanks for your additional comments. ;)
In that case I'd rather recommend installing Debian proper, and opting for an LXDE desktop
I see. I think that makes sense.
But taking a look at https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian I realized the "Release Model" seems to have shifted from fixed to semi and as of late rolling.
I very much prefer the fixed model. Other than that Debian would be just fine for me it seems.
BL follows Debian stable's release cycle & support.
Thanks for the info.
I believe Lubuntu does not follow *buntu's LTS timetable
Yes, that´s true. Lubuntu LTS gets 3 years support.

My question about the support period was actually referring to Bunsenlabs. ;)

Thanks for your help.
Many greetings.
abacus7

Post by abacus7 »

drooly wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:05 am But the result then won't be polished anymore.
In that case I'd rather recommend installing Debian proper, and opting for an LXDE desktop.
I'd argue that pure Debian as a base is not what most Lubuntu-LXDE users would want. Starting with the fact that Debian-LXDE comes with Wicd (or is it Wikd?) instead of Network Manager. It can be a scary experience having to change network managers. I did it by trial and error but I doubt it's something an average user would want to hassle with when they install Debian-LXDE.

The greeter screen on Bunsen is more attuned with Lubuntu-LXDE than is Debian as well. Basically, the polish that comes with Bunsen Labs carries over once LXDE is added.
If you like how Bunsenlabs handles things you might consider simply using that instead.
When people want an actual DE, they want an actual DE!
I don't think [the BL community] is very active, and I've seen some pretty evil things happening there recently, performed and condoned by developers.
I haven't been there recently but it used to be very active, with the members very helpful. That's where I first heard about adding LXDE to the BunsenLabs base.