indic font rendering

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
glogo

indic font rendering

Post by glogo »

Hi again,

does anyone per chance know, or have any experience in getting indic fonts to render, say, in ice weasel or FF or whatever browser?

I want to read newpapers in Oriya. Have downloaded the oriya fonts and tried all kinds of things with the browser and character encodings settings, to no effect.

loaded an extension for the browser too, but still does not work.

Actually, is this a DE issue? Every where I search, it seems to point to this.

can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
glogo
glogo

Re: indic font rendering

Post by glogo »

So, this is something I posting without having done the proper research.
this is a part of the transition from winOS to linOS. linOS psychology is completely different. win-user can tend to be dependent and shy, afraid to tinker and not much of a self-starter, the average user. I am over-generalizing here. lin-user can be much more independent and bold (again, my generalization) and gets his/her answer for him/herself when possible. so, what's my excuse? none. just shifting modes.

I found that the answer to my question was very simple. with the proper fonts installed the pages render practically automatically. but there are some newspapers, nothing seems to help and I suspect this is because of bad/inaccessible character encoding. or the person who sent me the font, they just sent the wrong one. this whole thing of font rendering turns out to be a huge topic and very interesting.

some newspaper solved the problem by offering readers image or pdf files of the stories. that was creative.

and my own problem with using the indic font on this box was the keyboard mapping which can be changed with a command in terminal. it turned out to be rather straightforward, but finding the right keyboard for the fonts was not so easy. thankfully, with linux, it's easy to edit and change these files with the unicode character encoding.

greetings
glogo