how to collaborate

Questions concerning translating LXDE into other languages. If you would like to help with translating, an easy way to start is to help translating wiki pages . Please also join the translation project and translation mailing list..
PCMan

Re: how to collaborate

Post by PCMan »

A vote on this forum will be held for this issue.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

IMO this vote should have three options:
  • Launchpad
  • Transifex @ fedorahosted.org
  • Own Transifex
If we use fedorahosted we are bound to the Fedora accounts system (just like we are bound to Launchpad user management), if we setup our own transifex we can manage users ourselves more easily.
OgMaciel

Post by OgMaciel »

Late comer to this thread but I'd like to support the idea of using Transifex and host it with Fedora projects (unless someone has the time and hardware/bandwith). All pros/cons already cited are a pretty good list but the one that imho is the most important is the fact that translations should always be done upstream, and then trickle down to distros. Transifex plus a good quality control process before committing files (more about that later) will allow for a quick, efficient, and top quality translation process.

Cheers,
Og
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

How long will the poll last? It seems to me that the result is obvious.
Jabber: echo zdstsz@xwdjf.enw | tr zuenstfxjwd ymcorplgima
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

If everything goes fine I will set up a transifex system @ a subdomain of lxde.org this weekend.
glezos

Post by glezos »

Hi all.

I'm one of the core developers of Transifex, and a happy man to see a project like LXDE agreeing in the 'upstream matters' mantra. :D

I'd like to let you guys know about on our roadmap and upcoming releases, getting you up to speed with our plans. This way a decision could be more solid and beneficial in the long-term.

Recenlty we've started migrating Transifex's codebase from the TurboGears framework to Django. This process has improved our codebase a lot and allowed us to add a multitude of new features. We'll release Transifex 0.4 based on the TurboGears branch and we'll support it for 6 months from the release date. Transifex v0.5 will be based off the Django branch and will ship in about 2 months. New features will be added to the Django branch, which is already more or less receiving our full attention.

If you decide to deploy Tx now, you'll go with the TG version (v0.3.1 or the upcoming v0.4), and sometime in the next half year you'll need to upgrade/migrate to Django.

The alternative would be to settle on Fedora's Transifex instance until we release v0.5. Anyone can register for a Fedora account, and translations submitted through any Tx instance land directly in the upstream VCS, so this could be a a temporary option to save the time spent on the migration to v0.5.

Please let me know if you'd like any more clarifications.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

Hi Dimitris,
thanks a lot for your valuable information!
glezos wrote:I'm one of the core developers of Transifex, and a happy man to see a project like LXDE agreeing in the 'upstream matters' mantra. :D
What I find even more interesting is that even Ubuntu contributors prefer Transifex over Launchpad. ;)
If you decide to deploy Tx now, you'll go with the TG version (v0.3.1 or the upcoming v0.4), and sometime in the next half year you'll need to upgrade/migrate to Django.

The alternative would be to settle on Fedora's Transifex instance until we release v0.5. Anyone can register for a Fedora account, and translations submitted through any Tx instance land directly in the upstream VCS, so this could be a a temporary option to save the time spent on the migration to v0.5.
So I'd like to ask anyone: What do you think? I don't mind the work of setting up Transifex 0.3.1 on the lxde.org, but I do mind the migration afterwards. We will have the whole Turbogears stack installed on the server and need to remove it later. I wonder if this really makes sense or if we could stick with fedorahosted for a while.
glezos

Post by glezos »

cwickert wrote:So I'd like to ask anyone: What do you think? I don't mind the work of setting up Transifex 0.3.1 on the lxde.org, but I do mind the migration afterwards. We will have the whole Turbogears stack installed on the server and need to remove it later. I wonder if this really makes sense or if we could stick with fedorahosted for a while.
Making a further clarification: LXDE does not have to migrate/clone its codebase to Fedorahosted. Translation submissions via translate.fedoraproject.org can land directly in the upstream repository of LXDE. The only restriction of this approach is that logins to this Tx instance can happen only from people holding a Fedora account (which is open for anyone to create). It's also worth noting that traditional commits (directly to the upstream VCS from command-line) can continue happening in parallel to the use of the Tx front-end.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

glezos wrote:LXDE does not have to migrate/clone its codebase to Fedorahosted.
I didn't want to say that, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was worrying about the migration from Tx 0.3.1/0.4 with Tourbogears to Tx 0.5 with Django on our server at lxde.org.
Personally I prefer an instance of transifex of our own (because we are not dependent on the Fedora Accounts System then) but I suggest using Fedoraproject until Tx 0.5 is out.
Bouska

Post by Bouska »

Hi all,

I'm the French translation coordinator for Fedora, and I'm quite interested in LXDE (thanks for this feature cwickert). :)

Just my 2 cents about using temporally the Tx server of FedoraProject :
Anyone who can be interested in translating LXDE would have to follow the FAS joining protocol, sign the CLA for a activity non related to Fedora. Also for each language, the team have their rules, their methods ; a quite complicated institution to integrated temporally. But, in the other side, this could be a great opportunity for the LXDE and Fedora's communities : the two communities could meets each other (maybe new Fedorian (?) using LXDE in perspective), maybe a translation network will begin, FedoraProject have yet a translator community maybe motivated to translate LXDE.

So made yourself an opinion about this, but I think it could be beneficial for everybody.