how to collaborate

Questions concerning translating LXDE into other languages. If you would like to help with translating, an easy way to start is to help translating wiki pages . Please also join the translation project and translation mailing list..
julionc

Re: how to collaborate

Post by julionc »

Hi

Why not just give access to LXDE's SVN ?
Think! Each translation coordinator have to update his language ASAP.

Also, we can use The LXDE Translation's mailing list for send translation of LXDE and components.
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

Karl_Skewes wrote:haven't used Transifex and not sure how it works.
Just will say that Launchpad is easy to use and from a translators POV I have no issues with it.
Translating .po files and submitting them though is a hassle by comparison.
I agree with you, I don't understand why the most people on the forum decided to use transifex. The voting is ended, what is next? Can we translate dynamically lxde components? Few months ago I sent my translation to the mailing list, but it seems to me it was ignored. Well, language is not important for me, I can use english, but what about project promotion? It is not enough to create a web page and wiki and translate some pages on it. It is also important to make convenient language environment for the rest of users who are using LXDE as a main manager. Launchpad is easy to use, everything you can do online, there are thousand users from the world and everybody can translate lxde on own language and it can be dynamically added to the project files. What happened if we use transifex on lxde.org? I don't think you can find many translators on different languages, only the most widest spread: french, german, etc. There is no reasons to avoid multilingual community from launchpad... That's my point.
Jabber: echo zdstsz@xwdjf.enw | tr zuenstfxjwd ymcorplgima
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

knedlyk wrote:The voting is ended, what is next? Can we translate dynamically lxde components?
No, but this has nothing to do with nether Transifex nor with Launchpad, but with the fact that we currently don't have the infrastructure to set up and host something of our own. We thought about using translate.fedoraproject.org, but people in this forum voted different, so nobody wanted to make this decision.
Launchpad is easy to use, everything you can do online, there are thousand users from the world and everybody can translate lxde on own language and it can be dynamically added to the project files.
No it can't, this only works if LXDE development would also switch to Launchpad and bazaar. For external projects the devs need to download the po files themselves and add them to SVN, so this would be no improvement at all.
Also working online is not an advantage for everybody. I'm working on a translation project for Africa and the translators hardly have internet access. We are glad to have transifex' command line tools instead of a web interface.
I don't think you can find many translators on different languages, only the most widest spread: french, german, etc. There is no reasons to avoid multilingual community from launchpad... That's my point.
There might not be a reason to avoid the LP community, but there are reasons to avoid LP itself. Also the community of LP is good in terms of quantity, but not of quality. Many of them are doing translations for the first time, so if we used LP, we need to make sure that all translations are carefully reviewed.

Last Sunday Mario and Dimitris Glezos sat together and the TX team offered us to do the hosting for us. We get our own TX, so we are not bound to anybody's user management as in translate.fedoraproject.org or at LP. In the meantime Martin Bagga installed a pootle server at http://pootle.lxde.bsnet.se. Big thanks to Martin for that!

So no the question is: How do we continue from here? Stick with Pootle or use TX? Or even LP?

Regards,
Christoph
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

Last Sunday Mario and Dimitris Glezos sat together and the TX team offered us to do the hosting for us. We get our own TX, so we are not bound to anybody's user management as in translate.fedoraproject.org or at LP. In the meantime Martin Bagga installed a pootle server at http://pootle.lxde.bsnet.se. Big thanks to Martin for that!
Thanks Martin, but what a discrimination... I see all European languages, and even Arabic, but can't see Ukrainian (36 million people nation!).
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

The languages were added after people submitted files in that languages through the mailinglist. I have contacted Martin and asked him to add Ukranian so hopefully you can start working soon.

Regards,
Christoph
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

Thank you very much, Martin added Ukrainian into the list. I'm just wondering whether it really works? I did some test translation, and even upload my old translation files, but I cannot review my translating, it just disappeared.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

This is normal because you don't have sufficient privileges. You can only suggest translations and after sending the suggestion it simply disappears. :( Martin will add you as Ukrainian translator.

Regards,
Christoph
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

Thanks. I did the job!

PS Few times I've got error message that indexes was messed up, dunno what is wrong.
tronador

Post by tronador »

Please add me as Spanish translator, i want to help to finish the translation (is in 76%), but all my translations dissapears.
faktorqm

Post by faktorqm »

What do you think about gobby? Gobby is a free collaborative editor supporting multiple documents in one session and a multi-user chat; like google-docs. (official project page: http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/)

Another question: Yesterday i created this page in the wiki (http://wiki.lxde.org/es/Categor%C3%ADa: ... ear_iconos). The page is the translation of (http://wiki.lxde.org/en/How_to_get_Fold ... he_Desktop).
Now, i put the page in one category, but this is not what i wanted, this code

Code: Select all

[[Categoría:LXDE]]
[[Categoría:Componentes de LXDE]]
[[Categoría:Módulos de LXDE]]
put the page in a sub-category, not under de category "Componentes de LXDE" (Spanish of "LXDE components").
This is the scr with the problem:

Now the scr how i want to be:

¿How is the correct sintaxis of the category code? I read http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Categories for learn more about categories and page movement but i can´t solve this problem. If you can help me (writing the right category code or editing the wiki directly) i would be grateful.

Many thanks in advance. Regards!