Logo Ideas

Questions concerning LXDE themes, interface design, posters, logos and images. If you would like to help with design related tasks of LXDE, please join the Design Project and subscribe to the design mailing list.
intialonso

Logo Ideas

Post by intialonso »

Hi, like I said in http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1676, I think that the actual LXDE logo has some weakness.

About the symbol (just the image)
I see that LXDE, thinking in the "lightweigh" concept has choosen the flying bird like the brand image. I think that the bird is a good idea (is lightweight, fast and smooth). From my point of view, searching for a simple form that can become a professional logo, I found that the bird can be conceptually reducted to the feather, which keeps the main ideas about the bird while been more simple and recognizable. I mean, the feather synthesize the LXDE virtues.

About the typography
The same ideas that take us to the feather, works for the font choice. Im using th UNB Pro Light (http://www.marca.unb.br/unbpro-guia.php) a GPL font based on Liberation Sans. It is a sans font, lightweith and with very good readability.

About colors
LXDE is already working with blue, I think is the right choise, but it can be more soft, more lightweight. For the text Im working with a 70% grey, I dont want pure black because it makes the text heavy and static, the grey is in the same evanescent feel that the blue.

I made two logos, one with the Feather and one with the Bird (a new one). Each one have two versions, one with the symbol and LXDE; and one plus the "lightweigh x11 desktop environment".

Please give me back up.

Excuse me for my english.
Attachments
lxde-logo-inti.png
lxde-logo-inti.png (34.45 KiB) Viewed 14849 times
Mark

Re: Logo Ideas

Post by Mark »

intialonso

Post by intialonso »

Uhm I didnt knew it, Its nice but its not the same. Lets work together! Im sure theres something that express the LXDE spirit better than the original logo.

I want to hear more arguments about the actual logo, so we can start using it like a real brand, my ideas are just that, ideas.

Ok, lets keep the bird, Did you see my proposal? what about something more like a bird and less like... uuhmm I unknow what is it...
Mark

Post by Mark »

I prefer the bird.
maces

Post by maces »

Hi,

I like your ideas, looking and feeling like you know what you do :). the Logo looks very good. I'm not sure if I prefer the bird or the feather. Could you provide some more work? Maybe a website layout/design (as an image), seeing your Logo in action.

Keep on this work, sounding very promising.

maces
blutzy

Post by blutzy »

Top left has My "Vote" !!!
;)
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Pretty stunning. I like a lot!

can you mock up the stock "start" or "distro" image/button, taking your new ideas into account?

The reason i ask is that if the bird's other wing were slightly visible beneath the bird, then it could also be incorporated as the 'X" in LXde
intialonso

Post by intialonso »

Ok I will make some mockups.
pilipe

Post by pilipe »

I really like the idea of revamping the current logo, because in my opinion it is too abstract. I don't want to be rude as it is the result of someone's time, effort and hard work, but I see a manta ray instead of a flying bird and it doesn't work as an X replacement at all.

I LOVE your typo choice, it does really accomplish the lightweight concept, looks clean and elegant. As of the color choice, I also think is the right one, the blue gradient works like a charm.

Looking at the feather logo I like the fact that you thought outside the box and looked for something that represent lightweight, but a feather to me is too reminiscent of the Photoshop logo.
In the bird case, I like the fact that it is not a dove (church subliminal ad) and i also like the body shape, but there's something about the wings that's not working for me, too rigid maybe.

I'll start looking for other lightweight alternatives to the bird.
You are doing a great work, hope to see more :)
ubo

Post by ubo »

Hello.
I want to suggest to change the standard design LXDE.
To begin, I think, the community needs to develop a new logo design.
It might even take a vote ...

I attach my idea below. It's just a sketch.
Waiting for feedback and suggestions.

PS: Sorry for my english...
Little Sketch
Little Sketch
lxde_logo_sketch2.png (34.15 KiB) Viewed 14295 times
lxde_logo_sketch1.png
Wallpaper?
(197.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet