Design and the Roadmaps

Questions concerning LXDE themes, interface design, posters, logos and images. If you would like to help with design related tasks of LXDE, please join the Design Project and subscribe to the design mailing list.
mikef90000

Design and the Roadmaps

Post by mikef90000 »

After reviewing the great progress on lxqt I decided to find out where it is going, but could not find an lxqt specific Roadmap.

The one for the GTK+2 based LXDE is buried in the wiki and has good detail: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Roadmap

However, I've already noticed some UI differences between lxqt and LXDE that are making me very nervous. For instance, lxqt does not yet have a proper Panel Settings feature; hopefully the present limited functionality is considered 'interim' but how would we know? :(

In summary, is there a project-wide process for summarizing the new UI features and goals, including user suggestions and providing a structure for the dev team to work from? I don't consider myself a 'designer', but this team seems like the proper place to document such a process.

TIA, Mike
Use the panel, Luke!
Bob E

Re: Design and the Roadmaps

Post by Bob E »

The new Lubuntu 15.04 has this in their release announcement on Distrowatch:

"This release of Lubuntu offers nine months of support and focuses on minor bug fixes as the development team prepares the distribution for a switch to the newer LXQt desktop environment."

You might try searching around the Lubuntu site to see if there is anything helpful. Maybe even contact some of the developers for more info. It looks like they are going to go full steam with LXQt. Their IRC might be a good source as well.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Excellent ideas. I do not expect LXQT to immediately replace LXDE and I do not expect it to be ready for prime time until next year. In the mean time we are getting a little at a time here and there.
Rex
mikef90000

Post by mikef90000 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Excellent ideas. I do not expect LXQT to immediately replace LXDE and I do not expect it to be ready for prime time until next year. In the mean time we are getting a little at a time here and there.
I understand that, but I meant to mention that having some kind of community 'master list' in place hopefully would prevent some time-consuming development work being done Now from being replaced Later.

Perhaps Now is the time to build a preliminary one from the lxde wiki, ideas posted here and from that annoyingly obsolescent discussion technology (the lxde mailing list).
Use the panel, Luke!