Bottom panel suddenly disappears

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
tranduyhung

Bottom panel suddenly disappears

Post by tranduyhung »

I'm using Lubuntu 10.04 LTS. Everything's working okay but today sometimes bottom panel disappears and I don't know to get it back. I have to run lxpanel command from lxterminal to show it but losing my own settings, and of course it losts when I hit Ctrl+C or close lxterminal window. I try to restart my machine several times and update from internet but it still exists.
Some one please help me :( .
Marty Jack

Re: Bottom panel suddenly disappears

Post by Marty Jack »

The proper command to start the panel would be lxpanel --profile LXDE then you will have your configuration.

It is probably best if you work with the Lubuntu people to solve this, since it is their distro and they are familiar with what versions they are shipping and what outside configuration files they ship. It sounds like you have a variety of problems from your posts in the last few days and something is very wrong with your installation.
jnao

Post by jnao »

Same problem happens to me.

I'm running a derivative of Ubuntu, Mint LXDE 8.

The bottom panel is just gone, the upper panel still survives.

When I try to use the GUI to change the lxpanel settings, the lower panel button is grey and I can't interact with it.
westcoastsunset

Post by westcoastsunset »

Bumping this as this happens to me as well. I am not sure when or why it happens. It may be related to libreoffice as whenever lxpanel froze I had libreoffice writer running. Anyway I created a simple script to restart it as follows (using linux mint 11)

pkill lxpanel
lxpanel --profile LXDE

enter the above two lines in a text editor and save it to your desktop. Then make the file executable (doesn't need to be run in terminal)

obviously if you run a profile with a different name you should put that profile name instead of the standard LXDE profile
bumparocky

Post by bumparocky »

Same problem here....I like the default system panel at bottom with something like a system tray at bottom right, and menu,file mgr and browser on left and rest reserved as task bar...I wanted a quick launch type bar at top....when I add a top panel and add a few items to it, the next reboot yields ONLY that panel and the system default on the bottom has gone away....this has happened to me on multiple machines that I have put together, and I have to keep recalling how to workaround this obvious bug....
I just

Code: Select all

rm ~/.config/lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/top
and on the next reboot, the default comes back....basically give up on the top panel idea....

have not yet explored a better workaround,
probably I could save the dafult as ~/.config/lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/bottom and then create the new one?
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

I normally run two panels, one on the bottom and another along the right edge. I've seen the disappearing bottom panel in both Fedora and ..buntu (not quite Lubuntu; I started with Kubuntu but replaced KDE with LXDE). Perhaps because I still have an active panel, the command lxpanel restart seems to restore the bottom panel.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
mivilleb

Re: Bottom panel suddenly disappears - Bug

Post by mivilleb »

This happens to me too in Lubuntu 11.10. When I close the last LibreOffice windows the lxpanel is gone.

This needs to be fixed as it makes LXDE not very usable (switching to Abiword is not an option or a solution). It has been reported all over the web:

http://hardc0l2e.wordpress.com/2011/09/ ... -document/
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=89314
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/806663