Sound control icon disappeared

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
ArizonaDude

Re: Sound control icon disappeared

Post by ArizonaDude »

Thank you Rex, Glad to be here. Regarding not posting on old discussions, I definitely agree with you under normal circumstances. I know there are a few people, (like myself), who still need this old info for whatever reason, and could potentially benefit from a solution. I recognize fully that Lubuntu 10.04 is very outdated, and I would love to be able get a more modern os working on my systems. However, something that I forgot to mention in my last post is that both of the computers I was referencing were more than 10 years old. The HP Compaq nx9010 was made in 2003, has 512mb of ram, an Intel Pentium 4 processor, and no hard drive. The other computer is a Winbook X1, (which I had never heard of until some one gave it to me), made in 2001, with 256mb of ram, an Intel Pentium 3 processor, and the factory 20gb internal hard drive. I have tried using more modern versions of Lubuntu on both machines with limited success. The HP seems to throw a kernel panic during installation with every version except for 10.04, and the Winbook is barely usable with 10.04 installed, so I am not inclined to push my luck further. It's what I get for using computers that should have been recycled long ago. If you are wondering why I am using such old hardware in the first place, is is simply because I am trying to teach two medicare-age friends of mine the basics of using a computer, (using a mouse, minimizing & maximizing windows, ect) and none of us had any money, so I used what I had lying around. I simply wanted something that would work on my old junk, and generalize to most operating systems. Also, because I had a few years experience working with this particular os, on these particular computers, I wanted to take advantage of my existing knowledge. This is also what motivated me to solve the volume button issue in the first place. Users of this type need a volume button that appears every time the system starts. Whereas in the past, I didn't mind just refreshing the panel every time I started it up. Anyhow; I definitely agree that I should be using the most modern system out there, but this is not a standard application of the system, so I used the most modern os that I could. I hope that helps explain my situation, and sorry that was so long.
Also, I live in Lake Havasu City where it is currently 97 degrees. I'm jealous of your 80. :D