LXPanel: Transparency doesn't work correctly

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
ShaneMac

Re: LXPanel: Transparency doesn't work correctly

Post by ShaneMac »

I have a similar, it would appear to be pcmanfm, try killing pcmanfm and see what happens. After I did that and used nitrogen to set my background it worked properly. It would appear that what is happening is pcmanfm controls the wallpaper but the panel does not on on top of it. It displays the background that is behind pcmanfm desktop which is black. not sure if this is as planned or not though. You can kinda fake it working if you use nitrogen to set the root wallpaper background to the same one that is used by pcmanfm. But the issue here is the pcmanfm one scales to the top of the panel so any detail behind it may not line up.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I came to the same conclusion and switched to using Nitrogen to set the background.

Looks like there's some kind of bug in 0.9.7.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

Here is the bug report in the LXDE tracker: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=894869
Maybe we should close it in favor of a bug report against pcmanfm?
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

I'm definitely in favor of having the bug re-filed against the proper component. I filed it against lxpanel only because it appeared to be the appropriate component.

There is a work-around available using when compiz. First, I set the panel opacity to fully opaque. Then I run the CompizConfig Settings manager (ccsm). Select Opacity, Brightness and Saturation, then Window-specific settings then New As "Type" select Window Type. For "Value", click on Grab and then click on the panel. Now click the Add button, and then set the value.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
Gen2ly

Post by Gen2ly »

Getting this too. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not using hal?? Could this be a problem with that or related to pcmanfm as stated above? Using:

lxpanel 0.5.6
pcmanfm 0.9.8

I'd really could try to use pcmanfm-git but would rather not as pcmanfm is running great now. Any ideas?