Drag and drop taskbar for LXPanel?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
~F4t4l_Sh0ut~

Re: Drag and drop taskbar for LXPanel?

Post by ~F4t4l_Sh0ut~ »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Sorry we couldn't give you what you wanted but at least there is a viable alternative. By the way welcome to the LXDE Forum. Hope that you stick around and help us out when you can. :)
Well, it's fine, I don't expect LXDE having all the features that GNOME\XFCE have, or it would have no reason to be call lightweight. :D

And I'll sure try in helping, though I'm not a real expert. :oops:
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

I consider the ability to reorder windows' buttons on the taskbar a basic feature that increases productivity. I'm used to it.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Operating Systems with LXDE are chosen by users because they are light, fast, and do not use as many resources. That does not mean that they are only to be used on old machines. If you want or need more than a OS with LXDE offers then perhaps you should use one that uses a different desktop. When moving to a very light system you have to ask yourself is it for me? Do I need more than it offers? Most of us choose an OS with LXDE because we do not want or need all the bells and whistles. That does not necessarily mean that OS with LXDE are not configurable.
Wow, sorry for the lengthy response. Anyway, welcome to the forum. The thread that you have responded to is well over a year old. In a year many things happen; patches are released, new versions are released, some responses are over come by events, etc. In this care it has been maked solved by the original poster. If you have a related question you are certainly welcome to start a new thread but you will probably get few or no response on this one because it already has the green check next to the title.
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

Thanks for your reply. I am normally using Gnome Classic (no effects). My machine is fast enough for it. It has 2 GB of memory (maximum installable on my ThinkPad T41), but when I start VirtualBox with Windows 7 in it, it takes 1 GB. Firefox takes another several hundred MB. So, when I am about to use VirtualBox, it may be a good idea to use a lighter DE, even though it is not necessary for me.

I am mainly trying other DEs now. I will try Xfce later. I was just boring with Gnome Classic and Gnome 3 does not work on my machine (because of unsupported graphics card). I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.

The file lxpanel-0.6.2/src/plugins/taskbar.c has only 2072 lines of code. I don't have much time, but maybe I will, sooner or later, attempt to implement the reordering.
drooly

Post by drooly »

only yesterday i installed lxpanelx.
it seems to have the features you are looking for but on my archlinux install it was rather glitchy so i uninstalled it again.

it's not so hard to replace only the panel, you don't have to switch distros for that.

i'm not so keen on drag'n'drop taskbar, but i know for sure tint2 has it.
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

That's an interesting info. I could look at lxpanelx's source code to see how it is done. I already managed to modify lxpanel's source code and was able to try the changes. I still did not implement the reordering, but I have become a little bit familiar with the taskbar and GTK+ stuff. I will submit a patch when it will be done, of course.
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

The patch is ready. But I made it for LXPanel v0.6.2, which is the latest released version. Unfortunately, the taskbar in the git repository is very different, as it is in fact launchbar merged with taskbar named as launchtaskbar. So I have to rework it before I can submit a patch.
braniti

Post by braniti »

thank you vlad ,
I think many people need this feature :
http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/feature-r ... 51/?page=1

How do i install your patch to lxpanel 0.5.8 @Lubuntu 12 ?

B.
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

Luckily it was very easy to recreate the patch. I have submitted the patches today. They are here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/patches/474/

It is easier to download, patch, and compile the version 0.6.2 than the latest code from git repository.

I have created a BASH shell script than can automatically download the patch and lxpanel v0.6.2, apply the patch, install build dependencies, compile the code, install the custom lxpanel, and restart lxpanel. I have uploaded that script to my website. The usage instructions are:

1) Download the script from http://www.vladpride.cz/res/install-lxp ... -patch-474
2) Open terminal and go to directory with that file (with cd command)
3) Make that script executable with: chmod a+x install-lxpanel-with-patch-474
4) Run it with: ./install-lxpanel-with-patch-474

Should the script fail, then you can read the error message, google for it, fix the script and rerun the script. It is tested on Ubuntu 12.04.

The script creates folder lxpanel-with-patch-474 in the working directory. The custom lxpanel is then installed to subdirectories of /usr/local/, but that folder lxpanel-with-patch-474 is needed for uninstallation, so it is not automatically deleted.

The script creates uninstaller script uninstall in folder lxpanel-with-patch-474. The uninstaller can uninstall your custom version of lxpanel, delete folder lxpanel-with-patch-474 (the path to that folder is in the uninstaller, so it can be run from any working directory), and restart lxpanel.
vlad88

Post by vlad88 »

My patch has been committed, it will be in the next release.

The patch:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/patches/474/
The latest sources with the patch:
http://git.lxde.org/gitweb/?p=lxde/lxpanel.git