Missing LXPanel entries under menu

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Kanefa

Missing LXPanel entries under menu

Post by Kanefa »

I have a simple script that runs on logoff that deletes the user's dirty home directory and copies a clean backed up version. Frequently after running the script only Run and Logout will appear in the LXPanel menu. Rebooting fixes the problem. Even clicking run and then cancel fixes it.

If I'm experiencing the issue and click Run and then cancel to repopulate the menu and then run "lxpanelctl restart" it will actually revert back to a state with missing entries.

I'm looking to either understand this better to avoid this altogether or possible a logon script that I can run to correct the LXPanel.
drooly

Re: Missing LXPanel entries under menu

Post by drooly »

lxpanel does not take kindly to having its config files removed.
(also, on my setup lxpanelctl --restart does not work. it does simply nothing because i don't have lxsession.)

maybe you should change your script so that it does not remove ~/.config/lxpanel/ - or make sure that the clean backup has the exact same config files.

(is this some kind of kiosk computer or why do you want to clean out the home folder?)
drooly

Re: Missing LXPanel entries under menu

Post by drooly »

drooly wrote:on my setup lxpanelctl --restart does not work. it does simply nothing because i don't have lxsession.
actually this is not quite right.
first, it should be "lxpanelctl restart" without the minusses.
it kills lxpanel, but does not restart.
i suspect the reason is because i'm not using the lxde session management.