How does the close down button work?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
R791486

How does the close down button work?

Post by R791486 »

Is it possible to change the command in the close down button so that it runs " sudo shutdown -h now"

Robin
drooly

Re: How does the close down button work?

Post by drooly »

that would usually require you to enter a password, but sudo is not a gui command.
you could change it to "gksudo shutdown -h now" and assign this to a launcher on the panel, but then you'd still have to enter your password.
why do you want that?

...to answer your question directly, i think the shutdown button calls a small program (maybe lxde-logout-dialog or lxshutdown, i really don't remember) which has the commands used hardcoded. but it makes use of some authentication policy so you don't have to enter your password.
R791486

Post by R791486 »

my close down buttons do not work. Nothing happens. I am closing down with command line reboot, shutdown etc.

I looked at the files to which you refer and do know how to open them let alone edit them.

Could it because I started with Ubuntu 12.04 before switching to Lubuntu, and so the hard coded commands have no effect?
drooly

Post by drooly »

i misinterpreted your post.
no i think this is a different topic altogether.
i think it has to do with policy kit things, how commands that would normally require root authentication can be run without giving your password every time.
unfortunately i'm not good at this, but i guess searching "ubuntu gnome polkit lxde lubuntu" would be a good catch-all.
it just gave me this.
R791486

Post by R791486 »

Which part of that posting did you think would help me?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Is it correct to say that end result that you want is to have the shutdown icon on the LXPanel to function correctly (give you the option of shut down, log out, change user, etc? After re-reading this thread and your other one I am no longer sure. Does the Logout selection on the Main menu work?

Edit.
I knew I had this somewhere. I just couldn't find it right away. This site will walk you through replacing the shutdown icon on your LXPanel. Since yours is not fuctional (for some reason) you could always delete it (right click any open space on the LXPanel->Add/Remove Panel Items->Application Launch Bar -the last one on the bottom) and then replace it.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... _add_it.3F
Does that help?
Rex
R791486

Post by R791486 »

I have tried the suggestions in the link. I now have 2 shutdown button both of which do not work.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Wow drooly. I bookmarked that bad boy. Where have you been hiding that? I love it.
Rex