"Fixing" an LXPanel plugin font?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
DoktorJones

"Fixing" an LXPanel plugin font?

Post by DoktorJones »

So I found this neat little LXPanel plugin that does almost exactly what I need it to. It has one problem though: it's output (textual) is black... on a black-gradient LXPanel bar, that's kinda hard to read :( Can someone help me figure out what I need to do to get it to use the "theme" color (e.g. what the clock uses), or even better, add in a configurator that lets me select a color (including theme color(s) if possible)?
LXPanel with lxpanel_ifaddr
LXPanel with lxpanel_ifaddr
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 2.11.06 PM.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
Since I'm not sure if the forum will get cranky if I link directly, just Google "lxpanel_ifaddr" to find the GitHub page for it (it's the first result).

Also, it'd be nice to get the text to center on the LXPanel, but that's just fluff compared to getting the color right. Thanks!
drooly

Re: "Fixing" an LXPanel plugin font?

Post by drooly »

lxpanel by default is using this background image, but otherwise it uses colors from gtk theming.
so you either have to use a gtk theme with light font colors (dark themes usually have that), or (my preferred solution) you have to tell lxpanel via right-click preferences to use "none (system theme)" for background.

what you cannot fix via lxpanel's preferences or gtk theming, you must fix from within the plugin.
i'm sure mango32 will be happy about some feedback & suggestions.

btw, great to see that people are actually making plugins for lxpanel.
Last edited by drooly on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoktorJones

Post by DoktorJones »

So another shortcoming I discovered in the plugin is that it only detects the IP on startup apparently. What would be the sanest way to periodically poll the interfaces and update the text?
drooly

Post by drooly »

you should contact the developer of the plugin for that.
or, even better:
you should fork the git project and implement what you want yourself.

was your original question solved? please share, others might benefit.
DoktorJones

Post by DoktorJones »

drooly wrote:you should contact the developer of the plugin for that.
i'll give that a try, but given that the code was last touched a year ago, and was purpose-built for his specific task/usage, i'm not sure he'll have the time or interest in tweaking it to suit my needs.
drooly wrote:you should fork the git project and implement what you want yourself.
i'd love to do that... except i have no clue how. i'm not really a coder and don't even know where to begin; that's why i'm here.
i can figure out where the widget label is declared, and i have a vague idea of where the text gets stuffed into the label, and i get that the "for" loop... does stuff... to get the IP addresses, but that's where my understanding ends.
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

There is an article on Wiki about theming - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel_Theming - read it, please, it likely would help you.