Feature request

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
dabeegmon

Feature request

Post by dabeegmon »

Greetings

Am presently running LXQT 0.11.1 on Debian buster (10 or testing) with multiple GPUs and 4 monitors. Monitors are arranged with 2 landscape below and 1 portrait with one landscape above. (I would love to have this set up as one X screen at 3840 x 3840 but the proprietary nVidia drivers don't want to use 2 gpus for 4 displays.) Have been using LXDE for at least a couple years now and very much like its speed and low resource consumption!!

In the past it was an option to put the 'Panel' (LxPanel) above desktop 1 or below desktop 2 in the 'Configure Panel' dialog box (or whatever that widget is called). It no longer is - - - and as I have about 80 cm (24") of vertical monitor space with the Panel either at the top of desktop 2 or the bottom of desktop 1 I need to move my head to read the panel in either location. Contributing to the issue is that I had glasses made up especially for working at my desk and the lower position puts the panel into the bi-focal area and the upper needs (most often at least) not only a head tilt but glasses pushed back close to my face.

Is there any way the option of placing the panel at the top of desktop 1 or the bottom of desktop 2 could again be included as options for LxPanel placement?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Feature request

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forums. Developers rarely read these forums and seldom even check in. If you have a future request for LXDE see the second posting at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=575. Since you are asking about LXQT, there is an IRC channel #lxde on freenode.net which, unlike its name suggests, is dedicated to LXQt. Normally some of the developers can always be reached on this channel.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I literally find it to be a headache to view any computer display with bifocals. Go to a dollar store, or your equivalent, and purchase some glasses that are not bifocals and work good with your eyes at about 20 inches. Store them near your computer and use them just for computer work.
dabeegmon

Post by dabeegmon »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Welcome to the LXDE forums. Developers rarely read these forums and seldom even check in. If you have a future request for LXDE see the second posting at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=575. Since you are asking about LXQT, there is an IRC channel #lxde on freenode.net which, unlike its name suggests, is dedicated to LXQt. Normally some of the developers can always be reached on this channel.

Thanking you for your assistance!!!

Dee
dabeegmon

Post by dabeegmon »

seppalta wrote:I literally find it to be a headache to view any computer display with bifocals. Go to a dollar store, or your equivalent, and purchase some glasses that are not bifocals and work good with your eyes at about 20 inches. Store them near your computer and use them just for computer work.
Ah ja - - - you may have missed it but I'm playing with 4 monitors - - - not one. So distance to the monitors varies from about 20 to 30" (or 500 to 800 mm (in very round numbers)) and if I am doing my record keeping I need to be able to read documents and sometimes the type on receipts is quite small or the thing is very hard to read. So the bi-focal bottom is set up to allow me to read paper docs with some acuity and the bulk of the lenses is for the monitors. It actually works quite well except when I need to read the very top of the second monitor (again about 24" (600 mm) above the desk) of the very bottom of the two bottom monitors. The bottom is often less of an issue but if I'm using all four at the same time (doesn't happen a lot) well then its a push of the glasses kind of routine.

Have you ever worked with more than 2 monitors at once?
(I'm finding this to be somewhat rare in linuxdom.)