lxpanel moved to external monitor

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
bucht

lxpanel moved to external monitor

Post by bucht »

In the panel setting, I set "monitor" to "1". But when I have an external monitor and locate it above or to the left of my laptop monitor, it seems that this external monitor becomes "monitor 1", and my panel moved to this external monitor. How can I fix the panel on my laptop monitor no matter where I locate external monitors?
drooly

Re: lxpanel moved to external monitor

Post by drooly »

you hacve to configure your monitors in such a way that the system knows which monitor is your chosen primary monitor.
you can do this with xrandr, but i recommend arandr. you can save your config, then make sure it gets executed on startup.
bucht

Post by bucht »

drooly wrote:you hacve to configure your monitors in such a way that the system knows which monitor is your chosen primary monitor.
you can do this with xrandr, but i recommend arandr. you can save your config, then make sure it gets executed on startup.
I tried both xrandr and arandr to set my laptop's LVDS monitor as primary. And the output of "xrandr" showed that the LVDS is indeed the primary one. But the panel still keeps moving to the left or upper screen no matter it is LVDS or VGA.

This is my screenshot of both screens. As you can see, the panel which is set to show on monitor 1 appears on the non-primary VGA screen above:

Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-02-11 12-23-44.jpg
(248.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
drooly

Post by drooly »

wild guess:
maybe you need to set it to monitor 0 (zero)?
bucht

Post by bucht »

drooly wrote:wild guess:
maybe you need to set it to monitor 0 (zero)?
there‘re only 3 options: 'All', '1', '2'. I tried each option but none of them is helpful...
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Everything looks correct to the information in the image.(?) I see a vertical extended desktop screen layout and a panel preference calling for a "top" panel, which is what the picture shows. If you want the panel on the "bottom" of the extended desktop, you need to tick the bottom circle in Panel Preferences. For this kind of layout, lxpanel apparently gives you only 4 choices: top, bottom, left, right. If you choose right, then you need to align the right edge of the extended desktop, or you will lose the bottom part of your panel in empty space.