Task Bar: Icons are hidden

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Sheriff Hobbes

Task Bar: Icons are hidden

Post by Sheriff Hobbes »

Good Morning,

this is my first post, so let me just say that I use LXDE on several installations. In the past I've always used KDE, but this Desktop has become so annoying and buggy that I completely moved to LXDE a few years ago.

But nothing is perfect and I even found a bug in LXDE. :D
Or is it by design? Then this post is a change request!

If the task bar runs out of space, new application icons are hidden. In the following screenshot you see the last visible icon marked by an arrow:

All applications opened afterwards are not visible. You need to change the icon size of lxpanel or move it to another desktop to make it visible again.
It would be nice if you had the option to scroll down the icons or automatically make them smaller or whatever method to "not lose" any icon.

Thanks,
SH
Attachments
lxpanel.png
(67.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"The age-old success of the ideologists of the State is perhaps the most gigantic hoax in the history of mankind"
--- Murray N. Rothbard
drooly

Re: Task Bar: Icons are hidden

Post by drooly »

i wouldn't call this a bug really; lxpanel is lightweight, and dealing with an edge case like this would require many additional lines of code.

here's what i see in your screenshot:
  • at the top there's a few launchers and buttons, of which you could remove a few
  • same with the clock - you can't see all of it anyhow
but imo this is the most crucial thing:
  • it is absolutely crazy to have that many applications open on the same desktop.
    learn to use virtual desktops & how to switch between them. you can adjust the number of virtual desktops to your liking; try 4 or even 8.
    by default (on most distros) the shortcuts Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow and Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow switch between them.
    i can see that you already have 2 virtual desktop, so you can test that right now, but i really recommend increasing that number once you grasp the concept.