Getting some taskbar info in the terminal, and a maybe unreasonable request

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
bigotinho

Getting some taskbar info in the terminal, and a maybe unreasonable request

Post by bigotinho »

Hi, I'd like to know how to get the order of the apps in the taskbar, I believe the string shown in each 'tab' is the same as the window name, which should be enough for my purposes. But if it could output the windows ids that X understands that would be better.

As for my probably unreasonable request I'd like to be able to rearrange the apps in the taskbar with terminal commands. This is all for some hotkeys I want to make.
drooly

Re: Getting some taskbar info in the terminal, and a maybe unreasonable request

Post by drooly »

bigotinho wrote:Hi, I'd like to know how to get the order of the apps in the taskbar, I believe the string shown in each 'tab' is the same as the window name, which should be enough for my purposes. But if it could output the windows ids that X understands that would be better.
i don't think that lxpanel has that functionality.
As for my probably unreasonable request I'd like to be able to rearrange the apps in the taskbar with terminal commands. This is all for some hotkeys I want to make.
sorry but what exactly are you trying to achieve?
why do you need to arrange apps in the taskbar?
that does not change how they appear on the desktop?

do you know that you have a number of virtual desktops you can use? by default 2 or 4, but you can extend that horizontally and vertically.