Is there an option to always keep the panel hidden *unless* I press the super key?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Neklan

Is there an option to always keep the panel hidden *unless* I press the super key?

Post by Neklan »

Currently I'm using Auto-hide. It works properly but I am wondering if I could configure it to work as follows.

I would like the panel to always remain hidden unless I press the super key. In other words, is there an option to always keep the panel hidden unless I press the super key? When I mouse over the bottom part of my screen I do not want the panel to appear.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Is there an option to always keep the panel hidden *unless* I press the super key?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the lxde forums. There is currently no option to hide the LxPanel unless you press the super key. The closest that you can come to keeping it out of your way is probably what you are already using. If you want that as an option you can request it as a future request at: http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/feature-requests/ or you could write your own script.
Rex
drooly

Re: Is there an option to always keep the panel hidden *unless* I press the super key?

Post by drooly »

That said, I can imagine writing a simple script with xdotool & Co. that will do just that.
But, I don't see much sense in it - lxpanel is mouse driven, why do you not want to use the mouse to access it?

Why do you want this?

Are you aware of the "client-list-combined-menu"?
If you don't use a desktop manager, you can access it by middle-clicking the root window.
This can also be bound to a hotkey in rc.xml (which goes under a different name under LXDE - Rex?).

BTW, most applications have a full screen option- usually Ctrl-f or F11. Or maximise + undecorate the window. Again, easily bound to a hotkey.
Neklan

Post by Neklan »

Welcome to the lxde forums.

Thanks.
There is currently no option to hide the LxPanel unless you press the super key.
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate that.
The closest that you can come to keeping it out of your way is probably what you are already using.

I see.

If you want that as an option you can request it as a future request at: http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/feature-requests/

In my experience, adding a feature request for a FOSS project to a long list of similar requests is usually a waste of time.
or you could write your own script.
Yes. Of course.
Neklan

Post by Neklan »

drooly wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 am That said, I can imagine writing a simple script with xdotool & Co. that will do just that.
I don't know how to do that but I can probably use Autokey to create a script to exit out of full screen (toggle out of full screen), show the task bar (so that I can see the clock, which is my goal), and then return to full screen (toggle back to full screen).
But, I don't see much sense in it - lxpanel is mouse driven, why do you not want to use the mouse to access it?
Why do you want this?
Here are some of my use cases.

Imagine I am reading a webpage in Firefox in full screen mode or working on a Google Doc in full screen mode. I want to know what time it is. I press the super key but the taskbar does not appear. I then to press F11 to exit out of full-screen mode, then press the super key to see the clock, then press F11 to return to full screen mode.

Sure, I could install a simple clock application but why should I bother when I have a clock in my taskbar?

Does that make sense to you?
Are you aware of the "client-list-combined-menu"?
Yes. It's nice but I don't need it.
If you don't use a desktop manager...
I use a desktop manager
you can access it by middle-clicking the root window.
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate that. I did not know that.
This can also be bound to a hotkey in rc.xml (which goes under a different name under LXDE - Rex?).
BTW, most applications have a full screen option- usually Ctrl-f or F11. Or maximise + undecorate the window. Again, easily bound to a hotkey.
Yes. Right. I use .Xmodmap (it's old but it works) to bind F11 to full screen mode.

The year 2000 just called. It thinks phpBB is cool! Seriously, why not install Flarum? Yes. That would require maintaining a legacy forum (this one) and a new one (Flarum) but I find that phpBB is not very easy to use.

And no. Migrating is probably not worth the hassle. I would suggest the unthinkable: requiring users to search two forums for their answers.

Old clunky forums like phpBB need to be sunseted (phased out).
Neklan

Post by Neklan »

Oh. Yes. I forgot to mention another use case.

When I am working on webpages occasionally I inadvertently mouse over the task bar causing it to popup. I find that annoying. I am habituated to pressing the super key to show the panel. Therefore, I would like to always keep the panel hidden unless I press the super key.

Of course I realize that seemingly everyone has "just one little feature" they want to add. Therefore, I presume I will need to add this feature myself if I want it.
drooly

Post by drooly »

You're rambling...

But anyhow:
Neklan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:30 pmSure, I could install a simple clock application but why should I bother when I have a clock in my taskbar?
You could configure lxpanel to show a 2nd panel that only has a clock, say in the top right corner, set to auto-hide. That way, just hitting your mouse against the top right corner should show the clock.

If it must be the Windows key, I still suggest a separate clock application and sth like

Code: Select all

xcape
to bind the key to the desired action.
Neklan

Post by Neklan »

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate them but "the cure is worse than the disease." Farewell.