Moving desktop icons, copying to Desktop...

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
slowlaris

Moving desktop icons, copying to Desktop...

Post by slowlaris »

Hello everyone!

I'd want to ask a couple of questions.
1. Is it possible to make an option "Align to grid" on Desktop? I know, you can select all icons and just choose the option, but I wonder, is it possible to have an option to enable this behaviour by default?
2. Why moving icons causes other icons "run away"? I mean, if I place icon almost one on another, other icons move away.
3. Can Desktop take text and image clippings? I'd want to propose an enhacement. You know, like on Mac or old Windows versions, you could drag text from some program, drop on the Desktop and it would be saved as a file or something. Or you could just copy image fragment and paste on the Desktop (like, Ctrl+V) and this portion could be saved.
drooly

Re: Moving desktop icons, copying to Desktop...

Post by drooly »

LXDE is lightweight.
the features you desire would make it less lightweight.
one cannot have both.
what options there are, you can access via pcmanfm's preferences (there's a few more possibilities if you know about gtk theming).
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Have a look at "idesk for deaktop icons" in http://lxlinux.com/index.html#2.
slowlaris

Post by slowlaris »

drooly wrote:LXDE is lightweight.
the features you desire would make it less lightweight.
If Windows 95 Explorer or Mac OS 7.5 Finder are not lightweight then LXDE is a memory munching monster.
PCManFM has more features than two file managers mentioned above and it's, let's say, not good if it doesn't bear features of its predecessors.
drooly

Post by drooly »

slowlaris wrote:If Windows 95 Explorer or Mac OS 7.5 Finder are not lightweight then LXDE is a memory munching monster.
PCManFM has more features than two file managers mentioned above and it's, let's say, not good if it doesn't bear features of its predecessors.
i didn't even understand that reply. it sounds like you would prefer using windows 95?
factually, my answer is still correct.
slowlaris

Post by slowlaris »

seppalta wrote:Have a look at "idesk for deaktop icons" in http://lxlinux.com/index.html#2.
Thanks, seppalta, but this doesn't seem to suit me, because it doesn't seem to have support Desktop the same way PCManFM does.
As far as I understood, it's rather screen-wide application launcher than traditional desktop manager.

I must have added this picture in the first post, it shows better the issue I say about in the 2 question.
Attachments
poblems.png
poblems.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Each desktop icon occupies a certain amount of space. These spaces are not allowed to intersect. So when 2 icons are brought close together, the space of one of them will push the other's space away. So, if you want icons close together, you need to reduce their size.

Pcmanfm has a tool for icon size. Starting with the menu bar at the top, do Edit > Preferences > Display. That page will offer you 4 icon size choices. I do not know which one, if any, controls desktop icon size, but you can easily test by "trial and error".
Barryhes

Moving desktop icons copying to Desktop

Post by Barryhes »

Buy any chance did you try to right click on the desktop and click on "arrange icons by" then "show desktop icons" ?