Post by crazyaxe »

Hello world,
when I delete some file with PCManFM, where does it go? :?:
Thanks
maces

Re: Trash bin?

Post by maces »

Hi

a quick search in the forum would show you, that the current stable PCManFM (<0.5) doesn't support a trash can, your files are gone! The next generation of PCManFM (>0.9) will support a trash can.

maces
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

is there any possibility that the trash can be bypassed with a regular delete command?
My LXDE setup:
Asus EEE PC 900, 900MHz Celeron, 1GB of RAM, Intel integrated graphics, 16GB SSD
kgas

Post by kgas »

just use shift+del
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

well yes but i meant by right-clicking on the files. i don't typically use the keyboard that much to delete something unless its from the command line
My LXDE setup:
Asus EEE PC 900, 900MHz Celeron, 1GB of RAM, Intel integrated graphics, 16GB SSD
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

Then press Shift while selecting "Delete" from the right-click menu. ATM it is not possible to completely get rid of the keyboard here.

Regards,
Christoph
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

hmm. oh well, thanks anyway. i just find it strange, because the function used to exist. you'd think it'd be easier on the developers to add a "send to trash" command while keeping the old delete command rather than replace it
My LXDE setup:
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

The old pcmanfm didn't have a trash, that's why all files were deleted directly. There was no special command. The new pcmanfm was completely rewritten, so trash was just as much work to implement as delete. And as most people will use delete, it was implemented.

The only file manager I know that has two separate commands in the menu is nautlilus, but yo have to enable the delete command in the preferences first.

Regards,
Christoph
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

i'm aware pcmanfm was rewritten but regardless, the old delete command could have been ported over effortlessly. deleting files is one the easiest file related things you can do in programming, imo. i've heard how adding the trash wasn't as easy as the devs had hoped, otherwise it would have been implemented a while ago.

dolphin is another file manager that supports both commands, and i'm guessing konqueror does too. i think pcmanfm is great for lxde, but sending files to the trash on a 16gb SSD gets pretty inconvenient sometimes when i need the space quicker than that. its not that big of a deal to me, it'd just be nice
My LXDE setup:
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

Both dolphin and konqueror only show the Delete option when they are configured to do so, just like nautilus. Please file a feature request if you want to have this in pcmanfm too. However I still think that Trash is more important and therefor is is logical to implement it first.

Regards,
Christoph