Arch Linux + LXDE + PCmanFM almost perfect...but

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
Snailchess

Arch Linux + LXDE + PCmanFM almost perfect...but

Post by Snailchess »

Hello,

I migrated to linux for 4+ years and never miss a thing of MS windows. I tried fedora, gentoo, debian and, just before going to Arch Linux, was with Linux Mint. Linux is generally good but I think many desktops get bloated to my liking, like Gnome (I don't have the knowledge to judge the Linux kernel). I am most satisfied with Arch Linux, almost the perfect OS because of its principle and concept of simplicity. After a little learning, it is easy. LXDE, I think, also follows this principle of simplicity and it is as good as I want it - Arch Linux + LXDE.

But it seems PCmanFM is not yet matured and has a few things lacking and also some bugs - I can't submit proper bug reports as I don't know the proper method.
1) the feature "create File/empty document" is invisible/unreachable if our file list in the open directory reaches to the bottom of the window - right button click don't work.
2) cannot associate application "unzip" to automatically extract *.zip types even with set command. Maybe application association with other file types too cannot be done (?).
3) a lacking feature is to be able to list/view content of a directory in the same window as with gnome-nautilus.
4) of course, a file search facility is good, but I am using catfish, so ok.

Otherwise everything in this linux package design is perfect (for the single home user at least). I tried migrating from LXDE to xfce4 and, for some reasons or other, xfce4 just cannot work; eg I open the C/C++ eclipse IDE and there is no button to close the application! So I have to live with some imperfection in PCmanFM.

Best Regards.
xsw23edc

Re: Arch Linux + LXDE + PCmanFM almost perfect...but

Post by xsw23edc »

Hi. I also use Arch with LXDE and everything works great. Maybe you did not install all the packages? It is worth re-install LXDE. If you are a beginner with Arch and want to light environment in my opinion is worth a try Archbang (Arch + openbox + thunar). Soon, the author has release the latest version of the kernel 3.xx Thunar for your needs will be less problematic in my opinion and by the way you will not have a mess.
If you have any problems with the Arch / Archbang recommend Archforum, there you will always find a solution.